What do you think is the divorce rate in the US?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 2 years ago

What do you think is the divorce rate in the US?

I heard the convention wisdom is that the divorce rate is around 50%. I took a sample of just people I know (family, friends colleagues and neighbors) and I found the rate to be 20%. I did not include singles and people who cohabit. Just people who are married and what percent are divorced or married to a divorcee. I'm curious what your experience is. It is not a scientific study, just sampling.

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12781376_f260.jpg

I believe the 50% number is generally over the average lifetime of an individual. For instance not long ago Al & Tipper Gore got divorced after being married for over 40 years. You'd think they were "safe".
    Essentially every marriage is a potential ticking time bomb of divorce. The statistic is not tied to age range or length of marriage. It's according to whether or not the individual (died while married).
    Another way people measure is they look at how many weddings took place during a year versus how many divorces took place in the same year. Although it's not scientific if there were 2 million weddings and 1 million divorces during a year people will say that's 50%.
    An unreported statistic is "emotionally divorced" couples.
    These people are "legally married" but may not live in the same house, state, or even if they are in the same house they have nothing to do with one another. One person lives in the basement and the other upstairs. In many instances they're dating other people.
    And yet statistically they're being counted as a "successful marriage" only because they never filed for divorce.
    If you were to add the "emotionally divorced" to the legally divorced stat you'd probably have something close to 60-70% "broken households".
    By the same token couples like Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell have lived together for over 30 years and plan to get married on New years
    If they file for divorce one year later it will be stated their marriage only lasted one year. There is no credit given for the happy 30 years of cohabitation. And yet so many married couples will tell you that we've been married for two years (BUT) have been together for ....etc
    Years apart while married don't count against you and years together while unmarried don't count for you.
    In the end marriage is a legal status and commitment is a behavior.
    There are millions of couples who have one without the other!

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I understand all the points you raise but I am speaking from my own experience. I looked at 50 couples and I only came up with 20% divorces. That includes couples from beginning of marriage to life long marriages. It seems the 50% is too high.

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What people will tell you is "give it time". Check in on those same couples in 10 or 20 years. The other thing about statistics is there may be 20% you know and another person has 70% they know. It's a random sampling (combined).

3. jackclee lm profile image81

That's the reason for my question in the first place. What is your personal experience? Look at the people you associate with. It is a snapshot in time but it is a valid data collection method. The law of large numbers will give a  good estimate.

4. dashingscorpio profile image88
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If I were to go by people (I personally know) I would say the 50% is about right or higher! Both my parents were married and divorced twice. I have several relatives, friends, and co-workers I know of who have been divorced at least once.

5. jackclee lm profile image81

Thanks for the feedback. I hope others will jump in and help out.
      Checkout this article - http://qz.com/306166/the-divorce-stat-t … eating-50/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)