jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do you skip holiday get togethers due to toxic family member(s)?

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

Do you skip holiday get togethers due to toxic family member(s)?

Families usually try to get together for major holidays but sometimes there is drama due to toxic family relationships. Are you staying away for the holidays due to family drama?

2. Levi Legion profile image61
    Levi Legionposted 2 years ago

Part of me would like to skip holiday get togethers (especially the Christmas one), due to my family's and my inlaws' disapproval of my agnosticism. (They are Christians).

However, we will be visiting them this year, mostly so they can see their grandchild because we live far away. Get togethers are usually not too bad, unless a controversial subject comes up.

So as long as my brother-in-law and sister don't turn up the heat, the kettle won't boil!

Stacie Lposted 2 years agoin reply to this

More people are starting to opt-out of family get togethers due to increased stress they bring on.

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
    Michaela Osieckiposted 2 years ago

I tend to avoid most holiday gatherings now because I had a really bad falling out with some family members over my mental health and I can't forgive how they treated me. It would just be traumatizing for me to have to be in the same room with them. So yeah, if that qualifies as toxic family, then that's definitely the reason I stay away.

Sorry to hear how they treated you; not all families are healthy.

4. The Honest Mommy profile image60
    The Honest Mommyposted 2 years ago

YES!!  My in laws and I do not get along at all.  So, my hubby and I are going our separate way this Holiday.

That sounds like a sensible solution!

5. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

toxic like illness or staying away from a bunch of gossipers? Yup, I would, I don't wanna be bad on xmas day, Santa gonna be sad

working