jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What would you do if a family member only contacts you when they want something?

1. Express10 profile image88
    Express10posted 5 years ago

What would you do if a family member only contacts you when they want something?

Would you keep a sibling at arm's length if they exhibit a pattern of contacting you only when they want something? Why or why not?

2. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I would totally keep them at arms length. If they can't be bothered to care about me, why should I bother with them.

3. Ona Canady profile image61
    Ona Canadyposted 5 years ago

I have a few family members that I had to keep at more then arm's length, for the same reason and others. Some times its best to play tough love let him know that you are feeling used and abused by his actions and if he chooses to contact him under different circumstances then maybe you would be a lot more willing and excited about that time, but right now you feel like taking a step back is not such a bad thing.

4. samister profile image57
    samisterposted 5 years ago

I also have few relatives who just call me when they need help. I hate this. Why they always call or contact to me when they need me? Better they never contact me. when they contact me I feel like I am a thing to use and throw. Is this a good thing? Mostly I try to help them when I can. But from my heart I hate it.

5. Dee aka Nonna profile image81
    Dee aka Nonnaposted 5 years ago

Family relationships are so complicated.  I would not like this behavior in others people so I do not like it when a family member does it.  I may love you but I do not have to like you are your behavior.  Therefore, I offer them blessings and send them on their way,.

6. SimplyJewels18 profile image58
    SimplyJewels18posted 5 years ago

Hey how are you??? (sorry this response is late)
    But in response to your question I will first and foremost say I am a very honest and blunt person...So I would flat out tell that family member "You only call or talk to me when you need something" if they disagree with that start giving them examples of all the times they do so (The more the better)
    If you are not as blunt as I am which to many people are not smile
    Just shut the door on that person for a while meaning no calls or text should be sent to that person because if they only call when they want something why should you even allow them to be in your daily life???
    Hope this helps...Keep the questions coming smile
    Be safe,Be blessed,Be YOU!

7. Ramsa1 profile image61
    Ramsa1posted 5 years ago

I know exactly what you're talking about. One family relationship has ended because of this and I'm not broken up over it.