jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Do you say a grace before you eat?

1. blessedp profile image79
    blessedpposted 12 months ago

Do you say a grace before you eat?

2. shanmarie profile image80
    shanmarieposted 12 months ago

We used to, but fell out of that habit. It would be worth picking back up again, though.

blessedpposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Indeed it is a good habit.

3. WordCrafter09 profile image78
    WordCrafter09posted 12 months ago

There is not a minute (or second) in any day when, at the back of my mind (but always there) I'm not thankful for the things and people I have to be grateful for in my life.  I would "classify" not ever being anywhere near "genuine hunger" (as in living somewhere where getting "some version of food" is a major challenge and/or where there is true poverty) under "appreciation for that" .  More than that, and in that "ever-running, general and deep appreciation thread", is the fact that my children didn't have to grow up suffering with lack of decent food available.

So, not only do I feel as if that ever-running appreciation thread" covers individual meals, but it has also afforded me the "luxury" of devoting my "thought time" to all the things in life that are (as far as I'm concerned) so much "more important than food".

Having that "ever-running thread" going on at the same time so many other things and thoughts are going on during my days doesn't mean it's "at the back of mind and kind of forgotten" and more means that it "colors" everything else I am and/or do in life.

So, no, I don't say, or see the nee4 to say (or think) "grace" before each meal because, at least for me (and I imagine any number of other people) having that "ever-running appreciation thread" is something that I "address" separately and as its own thing and in my own way.

This may be a strange thing for someone who views herself as "pretty decent with use of words" to say, but there are some things in life that are so deeply felt it can seem as if they're almost "cheapened" if one tries to put them into words that are used when someone else says or thinks they should be used.  (I'm not knocking grace - only expressing my own reasons for saying it in day-to-day life.)

I see your point and I appreciate you sharing your "ever-running appreciation thread".  It is good to be ever grateful and thankful for daily blessings.

4. profile image62
    peter565posted 12 months ago

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, definitely no, hell no, the day I say grace is the day hell freezes over, no, no, no, no, absolutely no, hell no. Yahweh (the god of Judaism, Christianity and Islam) is a jerk/ big bully, I rather die a death, been torn into one million pieces, before preying to him.

Having said that I would like add two words "Hail Satan!" big_smile

Lol! I hear you. Get to know God first and then see if you feel the same way you do now. He is awesome and marvelous and He loves you dearly.
      Have a wonderful day..

working