How to make Spongy Appam without coconut or milk.
Appam is a Very smooth and tasty breakfast and can be eaten with the delicious side Dishes. Usually in Kerala Appam is made using raw rice, coconut milk and coconut water.
But here I am describing an easy method without using milk, coconut milk, or coconut water. Hope everyone will enjoy this easy breakfast.
- Raw Rice Flour or, Basmathi rice, -2 cups
- Urdu(black gram ) dal, -1 tsp
- Dry Yeast, -1 tsp
- Water, -as required
- Salt, -1/2 tsp
- Sugar, -3 tsp
Preparation Method for Appam
- Soak the rice and the Urdu dal( black gram dal) for at least for 1 hour. Grind it into a fine paste
- Take 1/4 cup of the paste and mix it with one cup of water in a thick bottomed pan.
- Cook the above pan in slow flame stirring constantly. When the consistency begins to thicken, remove from stove.
- This batter should not become too thick. When the thickened batter cooled add yeast,sugar,salt to it and mix with the remaining batter using a mixer grinder. Keep it( about 8 hours ) for fermentation.
- After fermentation, Stir the batter well. The final batter for appam is ready. It shouldn`t be thick, very loose and pouring consistency.(If the final paste is thick you can add water to make it loose.)
- Heat a nonstick appam pan and pour one big spoon of the batter, rotate the pan and close with lid.
- When the steam starts coming out, open the lid and take out the appam.
For soaking Rice -1Hour
For grinding and Preparing batter for fermentation -15 minutes
Time for fermentation -8 hours
Time for making Appams -30 minutes
- In order to maintain the taste don't use more Urdu dal
- For the side dish please refer my hub 'A tasty dish :Kabulichana MasalaStew for Chappathi,Nan, paratha, Idiappam,Appam'
- For making appam Non-stick appam pan is available in Amazon
About the Yeast
For good preparation, quality item should be used.Yeast is the main ingredient in this preparation.So i suggest the following yeast ,
Red Star Bakers Active Dry Yeast 2 lb. Vacuum Pack ,which is available with e bay