1-Ingredient Banana Ice cream
If you love icecream but you are afraid of the high fat and sugar content in most icecream, you will definitely love this healthy banana icecream recipe that I will be sharing in this article. The best part of it all - you only need 1-ingredient to make this yummy snack.
This recipe is raw food and vegan friendly!
Pretty Ripe Large Bananas
- A freezer
- Blender / Food Processor
- Peel the bananas and slice away any overly ripe portions of the banana. We want them ripe but not over ripe.
- Slice the bananas into 1/2 inch slices and lay the slices on a plate, not touching each other.
- Pop the entire plate into the freezer until the slices are frozen. (Overnight is the best bet)
- The next day, put the banana slices into a food processor (preferred) or a blender.
(A food processor is preferred because the banana slices tend to freeze up into a ball. The longer blades of a food processor will be more efficient when it comes to slicing up the ball as compared to the blender where the ball often freezes up above the blades and you need to use a spoon/fork to keep pushing the banana down to the blades.)
- Blend till smooth. Periodically scrap down the sides of the blender/processor. You take approximately 5 minutes to create the soft serve texture as seen in the picture.
- Voila! Serve cold and with your favorite toppings. Nuts, chocolate sauce ...
Banana Icecream Hack - if you actually refreeze the icecream after blending, the texture of the icecream becomes harder like the vanilla ones that you find in a tub.
What really amazes me about blending the bananas is how rich and creamy the blend feels. It is exactly if not better than normal icecream IMHO. Some people have tried to add in milk and yogurt to the mix and came up with quite good results. If you're done so, please do share your recipe tweaks :)
If you have enjoyed this recipe, you might be interested to check out my pineapple sorbet recipe. It takes 3 ingredients only and it is very simple to make.