- Food and Cooking
10 Great Breakfast Recipes for People Who Love Chocolate
Who doesn't love chocolate? Dark chocolate is even supposed to be good for you when eaten in moderation. So why not start the day out right and include chocolate in your breakfast menu? It can make a bad day get off to a better start. It can be a great treat for holidays like Valentine's Day or anniversary celebrations. Or it can just be a great weekend treat. Here are 10 chocolate breakfast recipes to get you started:
- Combine two cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Mix lightly.
- Add 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/4 cup vegetable oil and 2 medium eggs. Mix completely.
- Add 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips. This is your pancake mix.
- Pour batter into small pancakes on a hot griddle or hot skillet. Cook until golden-brown. Flip the pancakes over. Cook until golden-brown on second side and serve.
2. Chocolate Blintzes. Pancakes are wonderful but blintzes are even better. They are thin like crepes but are filled with a rich tasty filling. For a real treat, make yourself some chocolate blintzes. Here's a recipe from That's My Home.
- First make the blintzes. This is done by beating three eggs and one half teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl. Slowly add one and a half cups water and three quarters cups cake meal to the mixture, alternating between a little bit of water and a little bit of cake meal and beating until smooth. Melt butter in a medium skillet and add approximately three tablespoons of batter into the skillet to make the first blintz. Cook over medium heat until one side is golden brown, remove from heat and repeat until all blintzes are made.
- Next make the chocolate filling. Combine one and three quarters cup ricotta cheese, one egg, one third cup sugar, one quarter cup cocoa powder, one quarter teaspoon almond extract and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Mix until blended and smooth.
- Add the filling to the blintzes and bake. Place the blintzes brown side up. Spoon filling into each blintz. Fold together to close. Place the folded side face down on a lightly greased baking pan. Repeat with all blintzes. Sprinkle them lightly with butter and sugar. Bake for twenty minutes and 350 degrees. Your chocolate blintzes are ready to serve!
3. Chocolate Chunk Cereal. If you're looking for a simpler way to enjoy chocolate at breakfast time then maybe you want to just add some chocolate to your cold cereal. Chocolate chips, chocolate chunks and broken up pieces of chocolate bars can all be added to any chocolate cereal. For a real treat, add dried cherries as well. What a great way to start the morning!
4. Chocolate Blueberry Oatmeal. Make your morning oatmeal taste so much better by adding a little bit of chocolate. Here's a great chocolate oatmeal recipe from Recipezaar that I've adapted just a bit:
- Combine one cup rolled oats with two cups water, one teaspoon of vanilla, one quarter cup fresh blueberries, one half teaspoon cinnamon, two tablespoons cocoa powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add to a rice cooker.
- Cook until the oatmeal is of your desired consistency. Top with milk and / or brown sugar and a swirl of chocolate syrup and serve.
5. Chocolate Mousse Cottage Cheese. One of my favorite breakfast foods is simple cottage cheese so of course I was happy when I found an About.com recipe for Chocolate Mousse Cottage Cheese which I've adapted a bit. Here it is:
- Combine one half cup of cottage cheese with one tablespoon instant chocolate pudding mix and one half scoop of chocolate flavored protein mix.
- Put these ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add milk if needed.
- Top with chopped walnuts and honey. Chill until the cottage cheese sets into a consistency similar to chocolate mousse.
6. Chocolate Covered Bacon. If you're someone who enjoys eating meat at breakfast time then perhaps you might enjoy Chocolate Covered Bacon. See YumSugar.com for an exact recipe on how to make this dessert that you can also use as a breakfast side dish. The only ingredients that you will need are bacon and chocolate chips so it's all about your technique with this recipe! Basically you need to melt the chocolate chips, bake the bacon, add the chocolate and refrigerate.
7. Chocolate Scrambled Eggs. For a fun twist on a normal breakfast food, all that you really need to do is add chocolate. One eHow recipe suggests the following recipe:
- Crack two eggs into a bowl.
- Add two tablespoons milk, one teaspoon cocoa mix and a dash of sugar. Mix slowly and well with a fork until the ingredients have all dissolved entirely.
- Melt a bit of butter in small skillet over medium heat. Scramble eggs in butter.
- Add sprinkles and serve. You could also add a sweet cheese at this point if you preferred.
8. Chocolate Donuts. Most people just head to Krispy Kreme to get their breakfast doughnuts these days. However, they're always better when they're made from scratch. Cooks.com offers this chocolate doughnut recipe:
- Melt one and half squares of chocolate in a double boiler.
- In a separate container, dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda in one cup of buttermilk.
- Add the chocolate to this mixture. Also add one teaspoon of vegetable oil, two medium eggs, 1 1/4 cup sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Slowly add in flour. Add enough flour to create dough that is the consistency of cake mix. Let stand for two hours.
- Create balls in the shape of donut holes. Fry in deep fryer and serve.
9. Pain au Chocolate. This great chocolate French pastry, similar to a chocolate croissant, makes for a great breakfast treat. The Food Network has a terrific detailed recipe for you.
10. Chocolate Protein Shake. If you are trying to be healthy then you may want to have a protein shake for breakfast. There's no rule that forbids you from still enjoying your chocolate. Here's a good recipe for a chocolate protein shake from Project Swole:
- Combine 6 ounces of water, 6 ounces of coffee, 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream, 2 scoops of chocolate protein powder and a few cubes of ice in a blender. Blend until ready. Enjoy!