- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Vegetable Ingredients
Broccoli Cheddar Fritters
Broccoli and Cheddar Fritters
I am a broccoli purist. I love it raw, no dip or salt. I peel back the leaves and even eat the stalk chopped into chunks in my salads. This recipe is a stretch for me because I prefer broccoli in it's "clean" state, but when you want to eat a vegetable that is savory and scrumptious this is the recipe to make. It really is not that unhealthy for you. There is only a small amount of flour and oil used to prepare these little goodies.
I first tried these broccoli fritters at a party. All the men were standing around eating these with their hands. They looked like large oatmeal cookies with green filling. The party hostess informed me they were her husband's favorite and only way to eat broccoli. So you know where I am going with this right? My husband only eats vegetables that contain high amounts of starch. Potatoes, corn and perhaps pees. To be nice, he has tried my broccoli dishes, but he is not a fan of the little green trees. So when I saw all the men eating these I snatched the recipe and set out on a mission to convince my husband to try broccoli one more time.
After some tweaking, I hit his food zinger and came out with a cruciferous winner. He now refers to these as broccoli cookies because he fights over the last one with the kids. What an impossible dream right?
My friends original recipe called for 1/2 cup of fresh grated parmigiano reggiano cheese. She switched to cheddar for her party. I tried it both ways because I love parmigiano, but I thought it was a bit too too strong. Also, there was no garlic powder and so I added a small amount in case the minced garlic wasn't strong enough. That is a personal choice.
Mince Your Garlic
Steam Your Broccoli
Cook Time for Broccoli and Cheddar Fritters
Ingredients For Broccoli and Cheddar Fritters
- 3 cups Steamed Broccoli
- 1 Cup Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 clove Minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil or Corn Oil
- 1 Egg
- Steam your broccoli in the microwave per instructions on bag or steam your broccoli your prefered way. I like mine a little crunchy so I only cook to the shortest time per instructions on the bag. Let it cool, then chop into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
- While broccoli is steaming and cooling mince your garlic and shred your cheese.
- Beat egg in medium mixing bowl then add flour, cheese and spices.
- Take chopped, steamed and somewhat cooled broccoli and add to mixture.
- Mash slightly for a couple minutes with potato masher or fork. Do not over mash. Then stir and incorporate the rest of the mix with the broccoli.
- Heat pan on medium heat for a few minutes until oil is hot. Use a large spoon, a cookie scooper or a small measuring cup and drop a 2 Tbls. amount of batter in the pan and press down slightly to make a patty shape.
- Cook for about 3 minutes or until brown on the outside. Transfer to a paper towel for one minute.
- Keep warm until ready to serve. Note: These are great cold too.
Add Broccoli to Mixture
Scoop and Fry
Broccoli Cheddar Fritters
Join Hubpages and Earn$$$
If you are interested in writing for Hubpages and would like to learn how you can earn money for writing content articles, recipes, DIY guides and more join me on Hubpages.
Photos and text by LA Elsen. All Rights Reserved.
More from LA Elsen
- Lessons in Super-Couponing Taught by a Pro
A bona fide expert in coupons and grocery store sales teaches the methods used to save thousands of dollars. What if you could take lessons from a pro to Extreme Coupon shop without going Extremely Insane? Thanks to the economy of the last five years
- The Dangerous Effects of Drinking Diet Soda
The effects of diet soda on the human body are alarming, yet why do we keep drinking these beverages? Just as nicotine is to the human lungs, diet soda is to the human brain. Although research on Aspartame/NutraSweet and its effects on humans is stil
- Easy Chocolate Glaze
The best and easiest chocolate glaze. This is my go-to ingredient for when I need to dress up my desserts.
- 3 Foods that Prevent Ovarian Cancer
Foods that prevent ovarian cancer are common and available almost everywhere. This article will highlight three foods and how they work through the process of anti-angiogenesis to combat cancer cells.
- The Best Pub Burger at Home
How to make a mouth-watering pub burger. It's easy and delicious to make. If you can make a burger you can make this recipe. Texas toast and Swiss cheese are the key ingredients in making this a recipe a smash with your family and friends.
- Incredibly Moist Pistachio Cake with Chocolate Glaze
This is one of the easiest and best cakes you will ever make. The chocolate glaze makes it even better. Simple ingredients and its a breeze to put together. This is a super rich,moist cake - no glass of milk needed.