Broccoli and Cheddar Breakfast Strata Recipe; A Perfect Holiday Breakfast
The strata is the answer to holiday morning eating – perfect for Christmas morning when the grown-ups of the house crave something suitably indulgent to start the day but the kids are driving everyone bananas wanting to get at those presents under the tree in a hurry!
Stratas are basically cheesy French toast casseroles. You assemble them the night before, letting everything permeate into the bread cubes and then you pop it into the oven in the morning for an effortless breakfast. Easy peasy and everyone will love it.
Here’s a recipe for a delicious broccoli, ham and cheese breakfast strata that is sure to please everyone in the family.
Broccoli and Cheddar Breakfast Strata Recipe
- 3 cups of broccoli cut into smallish bite sized florets and blanched until tender in boiling salted water, about 5 minutes.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 7 cups of bread, cut into 1 inch cubes. Any white bread will do here, but more rustic hearth style breads are probably better than sandwich loaf style bread
- 2 cups of aged cheddar, grated
- ½ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cups of milk
- ½ cup of heavy cream
- 8 eggs
- 2 Tbls of butter
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ tsp of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbls of Dijon mustard
- Start the night before you’ll serve this by heating a skillet over medium - add in the butter and sauté the chopped onion until softened, about 5 or 6 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and toss your cooked broccoli florets into the onions.
- Meanwhile, take out a large shallow casserole dish and fill the bottom with about 1/3 of your bread cubes. On top of this bread add half the broccoli and onion and 1/3 of the cheddar.
- Make another layer with another 1/3 of the bread cubes topped with the remaining broccoli and onions and another 1/3 of the cheddar.
- Make a final layer with the remaining bread and on this spread the remaining cheddar and the grated parmesan cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and cream, adding in the mustard, salt and pepper as well, and then pour this egg mixture evenly over the bread in the casserole (squish the bread down a bit to make sure it all gets saturated with the custard mixture)
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, preheat the oven to 375 and once hot, uncover the strata and bake it until it has puffed up slightly and is a very appetizing bubbly golden brown, about 45 minutes.
A sausage and mushroom breakfast strata - video demo
More Breakfast Ideas
- Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe. Easy Instructions...
Learn how easy it is to make your own homemade breakfast sausage. Once you taste sausages you made at home, you'll never go back to store-bought links!
- Scrambled Egg Breakfast Enchiladas. A 10 Minute Reci...
Corn tortillas are perfect with scrambled eggs and although breakfast burritos may get all the recognition and renown, the humble breakfast enchilada is (to my taste buds) a far more satisfying meal. ...
- A 3 ingredient recipe for the best breakfast burrito...
Sometimes the easiest recipes truly produce the tastiest meals. Great chefs know that food doesn't have to complicated, and often, that the fewer ingredients you add, the better something will...