Cheesy Bacon Potato Casserole
Garlicky Creamy Cheesy Potato Casserole With Bacon
We love potatoes at my house, and I'm always trying to find or create new ways to serve them. Whenever I ask, "What kind of potatoes does every one want for dinner tonight?" The answer is usually mashed or garlic mashed. Yesterday I wanted something different and I was feeling a bit creative, so into the kitchen I went on a potato mission.
Please note the prep time includes boiling the potatoes and the cook time is for the oven.
Ingredients Needed For This Recipe
- 6 - 7 Yukon Gold or potatoes of your choice
- 6 - 8 slices of bacon
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup of old cheddar or cheese of your choice
- 4 - 5 green onions (scallions)
- 3 - 4 large cloves of garlic (more if you love garlic or you can omit the garlic all together)
- Fresh ground pepper
- Butter or margarine
How To Prepare
- Wash and cut the potatoes into cubes, then boil them. While the potatoes are cooking cut the bacon into small pieces and pan fry until they are almost crispy. Drain bacon on paper towels to soak up some of the bacon fat. Grate garlic into a paste and shred the cheese. Chop the onions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Once potatoes are cooked mash with butter and milk. Stir in grated garlic, chopped onions and freshly ground black pepper.
- Put the potato mixture into a casserole dish and top with shredded cheese and cooked bacon. Place into the over and cook until cheese has melted, and bacon is crispy.
For Vegetarians you can still enjoy this dish by omitting the bacon.
© 2012 Susan Zutautas