Chicken Mashed Potatoes
Chicken Mashed Potatoes
Perfect Side Dish to Chicken Dinners
Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Realistically, it's not that often mashed potatoes receive compliments at the dinner table. Unless you already have an awesome recipe for your perfect mashed potatoes, here's a little secret of mine you might be able to add to yours.
I discovered this secret when watching my grandmother preparing dinner. My grandmother is from "the old country", so maybe this an old European secret to making perfect mashed potatoes, who knows? I noticed she kept the water she used to boil the chicken in. When she gave the chicken to my grandfather (who was out BBQing), she immediately placed the potatoes in the same water.
The Real Secret to making perfect Mashed Potatoes
The real secret to making perfect mashed potatoes is the amount of milk, butter and sour cream you add to the mashed potatoes. You can even ruin the mashed potatoes by over doing it with the pepper if you're being too careless.
I remember my grandfather saving at least a cup of the water the potatoes were boiling in for his secret BBQ sauce recipe. Hew was never "big" on those huge BBQ grills. He always prefered to cook on the smaller grills, similiar to the , but maybe a little bigger. Coleman RoadTrip Sport Charcoal Grill
*Special Note*: It be smart to have a strainer waiting for you in the sink before you carry a boiling pot of chicken water. Also, have the tongs nearby so you will be able to quickly remove the chicken from the boiling chicken water before placing the pot back on the stove.
- Wash potatoes, leaving the potato skin on, cut potatoes into one inch pieces (enough to fill the pot you boiled your chicken properly)
- When boiling the chicken, watch the water level. IMPORTANT - Add water as needed when chicken is boiling, never after.
- TURN OFF FLAME & SAFELY REMOVE POT OF BOILING CHICKEN AND CARRY TO SINK. Using tongs to quickly remove chicken into waiting strainer and returning pot back to stove
- Carefully place potato pieces into pot of water that chicken was just boiled in (*secret*). Use spoon to help place pieces into water to prevent splashing and possibly injure yourself
- Boil potato pieces until tender. While potato pieces are boiling you may tend to the chicken, or start preparing your secret BBQ sauce, or one of my secret BBQ sauces. In that case - save ONE CUP of the water after the potatoes are done boiling
- Use a potato masher and mash these potato pieces into chicken mashed potatoes; the perfect mashed potatoes. Add the milk, butter, pepper & sour cream. CAREFUL - IMPORTANT - (especially with the milk) When adding these ingredients, add very little at a time; add to taste
- 2.5lbs of potatoes, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 - 5 heaping TSPs of sour cream, add to taste
- 2 - 7 TSPs of butter or margarine, add to taste
- 2 - 6 splashes of milk, add to taste
- 3 - 10 turns of cracked black pepper, add to taste