- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
The (Oldest) Most Original Tomato Soup Recipe
Garden Fresh Tomatoes
Classic, Old-fashion Tomato Soup
The way Tomato Soup was Meant to be Made
This is the only way to make homemade tomato soup.
The (Oldest) Most Original Tomato Soup Recipe that's VERY EASY to follow...
The main ingredient in a classic tomato soup recipe is - tomatoes.
I have to admit, I grew up with a can Campbell's Tomato Soup in the kitchen cupboard. I have no complaints. I loved it. A can of condensed tomato soup with a can of whole milk was the tomato soup I grew up with. When money got tight, it was half a can of milk; half a can of water. When there was no money, it was ALL water...but that was fine, it was still good enough for me.
Campbell's Soup Costume
Campbell's Tomato Soup Halloween Costumes
Where to Find the BEST Tomato Soup
What's with the Halloween Costumes?
Cold Autumn Days deserve a Hearty Warm Soup
Cold Weather is Soup Weather
Halloween is right around the corner!
That's why I posted these Campbell's Halloween costumes. Tomato soup was a common item found on the household menu. Even though it came from a can, I have to say that Campbell's Tomato Soup is the best condensed tomato soup ever made.
It might be considered a bit "cheesy" throwing in these ads & pics for Halloween along with the (oldest) most original tomato soup recipe, but tomato soup was often eaten around Halloween. That is until Thanksgiving came along!
Tomato soup always went well with stuffed cabbage.
Please, please...PLEASE! Rate this recipe
- 28 ounces tomatoes, diced
- 2 TBS tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3 TBS butter
- 2 TBS all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- salt & pepper, to taste
- parsley flakes, for presentation
- With your garden fresh tomatoes, chop yourself 28 ounces worth. Place in strainer, then while over a bowl squeeze yourself 3.5 cups of garden fresh tomato juice.
- In a bowl with 3.5 cups of garden fresh tomato juice, mix in the chicken broth and set bowl aside.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt butter and mix in the chop onion. Cook until the onion has softened (approx 4-6 mins)
- Add just 2/3 of your drained, chopped, garden fresh tomatoes along with the bay leaf and the brown sugar.
- You MUST stir this occasionally to keep from burning. Keep stirring until the tomatoes start to brown (approx 14-16 mins)
- Stir in the tomato paste and flour and keep on stirring. Keep on stirring until the paste starts to darken. This will be quick! It'll happen like in a minute or two.
- Finally, start to stir in the garden fresh tomato juice that's mix with the chicken broth. Do this carefully.
- Add the remaining garden fresh tomatoes, the baking soda and bring to a boil. You may even add about a half tsp of salt (optional).
- Reduce heat to a medium low and stir slowly. In about 4-6 mins, the soup should begin to thicken. Get rid of the bay leaf.
- Puree soup in batches and return to pot. Mix in cream and continue to warm (approx 4-6 mins)