Quick And Easy Chocolate Dessert Recipes: How To Make A Chocolate Chip Walnut Loaf
Easy Dessert Recipe: Chocolate Chip Walnut Loaf
Sometimes you need a really good dessert but you need it to just be done ahead and be simple - you need to just be able to slice it and put it out and have people 'graze' past it! In my case, just in case they didn't stop at the other 50 desserts I had out to cover all the bases.
This is a great, super easy dessert recipe and combines 2 wonderful ingredients - chocolate chips and walnuts - as a loaf dessert!
This recipe is great for just about any situation and the great thing is that you can make it ahead and relax - that is the most important thing in cooking for me.
We all need to have some recipes where you can just put them together, display them and be done with it - no worries about preparation and 'timing'.
This is one of those great recipes - Enjoy!
This is another treasure from my old, old cookbook The Ultimate American Cookbook.
Photo Credit: Flickr Ayelie
Makes 1 loaf
- 1/2 cup sugar - divided – 1-1/2 tablespoons and then rest of sugar for recipe
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons potato flour or cornstarch
- 9 tablespoons butter – room temperature
- 2 eggs at room temperature (or 1/2 cup egg substitute)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons raisins, dried cranberries, or currants
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped fine
- Grated rind of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Powdered sugar for dusting if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 inch loaf pan with wax paper or parchment paper and grease.
- Sprinkle 1-1/2 tablespoons of sugar into the pan and tilt to distribute the sugar in an even layer over bottom and sides. Shake out the excess.
- Sift cake flour, baking powder, potato flour (or cornstarch) 3 times – set aside.
- With mixer, cream butter until soft. Add the remaining sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating to incorporate thoroughly after each addition.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the butter mixture – in 3 batches – DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Fold in vanilla, fruit, walnuts, lemon rind, and chocolate chips until just blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared sugared pan and bake until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean – 45-50 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes – transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired before serving.
SUBSTITUTIONS AND SUGGESTIONS
- Substitute other nuts for walnuts
- Substitute dried fruits such as apricots or blueberries
- Substitute almond extract for vanilla extract and use almonds for the nuts
- Substitute white chocolate chips for regular chocolate chips
- Substitute butterscotch chips and use walnuts
More Chocolate Chip Hubs
- Best Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Find one of the best homemade chocolate chip cookie recipes on the web, with easy to follow directions on how to make these cookies from scratch.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies - Light Recipe
I think these are the best light recipe I've discovered for chocolate chip cookies and they are only 100 calories! I found the recipe in Best Light Recipe by Cooks.com, however, I use a combination of...
- Best Ever Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
These are truly the best ever chocolate chip cookies. These are about as good as cookies get, so why not make several batches and watch them disappear. You can make your dough ahead of time and freeze it....
- Copycat Recipes Nieman Marcus Chocolate Chip Cookies
This Chocolate Chip Cookie Is Part Of A Urban Legend But They Are So Good This cookie recipe believe it or not is based on urban legend. People all over the Internet have always claimed they knew someone who...
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Who doesn't enjoy chocolate chip cookies? This recipe includes healthful oatmeal and makes lots of mouthwatering cookies. Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe 2 cups butter (1lb) 1 cup white sugar 1 cup brown...
- chocolate chip cookies
I've recently stumbled upon an old family chocolate chip cookie recipe that, much to my dismay, had been sitting in the attic for at least twenty years. I couldn't help myself, I owed it to my great, great...
- Secrets to Making the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies
Baking can be the ultimate test for many a novice chef just starting down the culinary path. The many variables combine to test the patience of even the most experienced chef. Because the chemistry of each...
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Creative choco chips. (public domain) Chocolate Chip Drop Cookies Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F Cooking time: 20 minutes per pan, less if you use artificial sugars NOTE: cookies will be crisper...
- Sour Cream Muffins - Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip and Blu...
These muffins are super moist and never dry out as some muffins can. Try them and then try the variations below. The sour cream gives them their moisture and baking them at 325 degrees also helps make these...
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread is excellent as a dessert, with a meal or as a snack. The recipe below has been configured for the large size (29 oz) can of cooked pumpkin. This makes about 4+ loaves of bread...
- Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Soft chocolate chip cookies are so delicious. This recipe makes melt in your mouth cookies, perfect for those with a sweet tooth.