- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Coke Cake shoud not be confused with Pepsi cake -that is a different recipe and when I find it, I'll post it too. You don't have to use Coca Cola, you can substitute for your favorite soft drink but I reccommend trying it this way first. It's basically a fun variation on the old chocolate cake. Give it a try!
There is also a coca cola icing but the cake is already so full of sugar that we just top with normal choclate icing.
If you want to do the coca cola icing here it is:
1/2 c butter, 3 TBSP cocoa 9 TBSP coke, heat to boiling, pour over 1 box of sifted powdered sugar, a 1 cup of nuts and spread over cake while it is hot. (it's like a glaze).
1 box of sifted powdered sugar is likely smaller not than it was when my grandmother wrote out this recipe 40+ years ago- she didn't cut back on the sugar for anything and never measured. I don't reccommend using the icing...that's WAY to much sugar. No nutrition facts offered with this recipe. It's super delicious but if you're on a diet, I am SURE you need small pieces only.
Here is the cake recipe. Enjoy!!
- 2 Cups all purpose flour, sifted after measure
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 sticks butter or margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cocoa, (sometimes I go with 5 T)
- 1 cup coca cola (regular)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, see notes to substitute with regular milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Mix flour, soda and sugar together
- Heat coke, butter and cocoa until boiling and pour it over the flour/sugar mixture
- Add the eggs and other ingredients and mix together until smooth. (except marshmallows) ** If you do not want to go buy buttermilk just for this, mix 1/2 tablespoon of vinegar into the 1/2 cup of milk and stir it before adding it to the cake mixture.
- Add Marshmallows and pour in cake pan 9x14 pan should cook in 25-30 minutes. This was my grandmother's recipe and there was NEVER any times on how long to cook- the toothpick test is always good but do it on the sides not the middle. The coke keeps the middle very moist.