- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Colourful & creamy chicken
I guess it is not an unfamiliar feeling for women who often cook to face the fact: we have run out of new ideas what to cook for our family. I have to admit, I have this feeling several times a month – I don’t want to cook the same food over and over again, I don’t want us to eat fast or junk foods and well, the most easy and simple ’just cook the chicken breast and pour the sauce over’-meals are getting a bit boring as well.
I come from a family where my mother always tried – and well, still tries – to cook something healthy and delicious for the family on her own, many times even from scratch, and I often feel the urge to do the same. That is the reason I often try to make up something that might be the new ultimate favourite of my husband and me.
The following recipe came up while doing the same: it is an incredibly delicious yet fast to do meal that is also an eye-candy, as it contains red and yellow peppers, as well as sweetcorn that come together as a very nice and colourful mix in this family meal. I don’t have any kids yet, but I bet this colourfulness might be a reason for the kids to love this food as well :).
Delicious meal in less than an hour
I have the exact same in my kitchen - amazing pan, never managed to burn anything in it yet :).
Did you know?
Vegeta is an all-purpose food seasoning (condiment) that is basically a mixture of several spices and vegetables that can be used as an all-in-one seasoning for several meals. In Hungary it is used to spice several soups, sauces and main meals. It is a must have in the kitchen if you plan to cook Middle-European or Eastern-European foods.
- 2 onions, brown
- 2 red peppers
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 can of sweetcorn
- 0,8 kg chicken breast
- 0,6 l double cream
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- sweet paprika, to taste
- all purpose food seasoning, to taste - can be left out
- olive oil
- rice, as a side
Instructions for cooking
- Wash and cut the chicken breasts into stripes or dice them up – as you prefer.
- Cut up the onions into small pieces, and stir-fry them on some olive oil in a non-stick wok or pan until they are cooked through.
- Meanwhile wash and cut the 2 red and the yellow peppers into smaller strips.
- Once the onion is ready, add the cut-up peppers and the chicken breast to it.
- Season the food to taste with sweet paprika (I still state that original, Hungarian sweet paprika is the best – not only for its delicious smell but for its taste as well), salt and the ground black pepper. I also used a little all-purpose food seasoning, Vegeta to make the meal taste even better. This latter can be left out though.
- Pour the whole can of sweetcorn into the food and mix it well with the other ingredients.
- Turn the heat down and simmer from now on for at least 20 minutes.
- After about the 20 minutes, stir the food and check whether everything seems cooked through. If it does, pour the double cream onto it, and mix it well. Cook the meal for another 10 minutes on low heat.
- Meanwhile rinse the rice and cook it in water to prepare the side for the meal.
- Enjoy! :)
What do you think about this meal?
The still not famous enough Vegeta
The all-purpose, fantastic seasoning that you can use in almost all Middle and Eastern European meals. Great addition to any food.
Nutrition Facts - based on my calculations
|Serving size: 6|
|Calories from Fat||387|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 43 g||66%|
|Carbohydrates 23 g||8%|
|Sugar 8 g|
|Protein 35 g||70%|
|Sodium 628 mg||26%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Share your ideas!
Please feel free to comment on this hub, your feedback is very much appreciated!
Or, if you feel that you can write fresh, new ideas about this or a similar topic, just join our community and start writing!
© Copyright 2014, Zsofia Koszegi-Nagy (zsobig)
Other recipes from me:
- Bud Spencer's favourite - Beans with onions
Have you ever wondered what does Bud Spencer and Terence Hill eat the most in their films? Here's the answer: a delicious recipe! Try it out and enjoy!
- Tejbegríz aka Semolina Pudding - a sweet dessert for the whole family
Tejbegriz (the best translation probably is Semolina pudding) is a fantastic sweet dessert that your whole family will love! Recipe, instructions and pictures are all included in this article!
- Cold and creamy peach soup recipe
Do you like peaches? Then try this great, sweet and creamy, summer recipe that the whole family will love! Complete cooking instructions and pictures!
- Kürtőskalács a.k.a. Chimney Cake, a delicious Hungarian pastry
Chimney Cake or Kurtoskalacs is an incredible Hungarian pastry that originates from Transylvania (present day Romania). Come and discover this great Cake with the help of this hub! Recipe and instructions included!
© 2014 Sophie