Ways To Cook Oatmeal: Quick And Easy Baked Oatmeal Recipe
Culinary Basics - How to Bake Oatmeal
Oatmeal is traditionally cooked as the picture to the right depicts. However, there are other ways to cook oatmeal. Today, as part of the culinary basics, I will give you 2 great ideas on how to bake oatmeal.
Why bake oatmeal you ask? Because actually cooking it this way allows you to cook it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. So if you are heading out in the morning and in a terrific hurry, you can basically still get your oatmeal to start the day with a healthy breakfast.
There are 2 variations and each one is equally delicious though I like the applesauce recipe best.
BAKED OATMEAL SIMPLE RECIPE
This makes 8 servings
- 2-1/4 cups quick oats OR 2-3/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar - light or dark
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt if desired
- 3-1/3 cups non-fat milk
- 4 egg whites slightly beaten - or 1/2 cup egg substitute - or 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Maple syrup or non-fat yogurt, Greek yogurt if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8-inch square pan with cooking spray
- In large bowl, combine oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt. Mix well.
- In another medium sized bowl, combine milk, egg whites or egg, oil, vanilla. Mix well.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until well blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake uncovered 55-60 minutes. Center should be firm to touch.
- Cool slightly before serving - or store in the fridge. Keeps covered in the fridge for 2-4 days. Top with syrup or yogurt, fruit if desired.
From the Everyday Gourmet Diabetes Cookbook
Oatmeal Equivalents and Measurements
- Oat flour may be substituted for up to 1/3 of the required whole wheat flour in baked goods.
- 1 pound old-fashioned rolled oats = 5 to 5-3/4 cups
- 1 cup rolled oats = 1-3/4 cups cooked
- 1 cup raw rolled oats = 3 ounces
- You can make your own oat flour by grinding oats in the food processor or blender
Oatmeal Bake with Applesauce
This is a Weight Watchers recipe and is a 3 pointer! This recipe will make 8 servings as well or at least 6 if you use a regular sized muffin pan
- 2 cups quick oats (or use old-fashioned)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup skim/non-fat milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute - or 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins - or substitute dried blueberries or cranberries
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using vegetable spray, lightly coat a 9-inch pie plate, muffin tins, or an 8-inch pan.
- Mix oatmeal and baking powder.
- Add in remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour oatmeal mixture into desired pan.
- Bake 45 minutes.
SUMMING IT UP
With a little prep work, you can bake up some oatmeal for breakfast and have it ready for a nutritious morning meal! This is a perfect recipe for folks on the go and people with all the demands of young children in the mornings.
Yet another way to make great oatmeal and do it ahead is to do crock pot oatmeal!
Oatmeal is a great part of the culinary basics and a super food when it comes to creating healthy recipes.
Be creative and add nuts and other things to your baked oatmeal - most of all, enjoy!
Websites for Recipes and Information
Amish Baked Oatmeal with Apples
More on Oatmeal
- Easy To Make Healthy Baked Granola
This recipe is one of my favorites because it is so easy and it is so GOOD for you. I like to make a double batch and have on hand for our own family for the holidays but it would make a wonderful addition...
- Oatmeal Cookies - Light Recipe
I think these are the best light recipe I've discovered for oatmeal cookies! I found this recipe in the wonderful cookbook I would review as definitely The Best Light Recipe by cooks.com. However, I changed...
- Oatmeal Snack Cake
This snack cake is made with steel cut oats rather than rolled oats. Steel cut oats are not processed to the extent that rolled oats are (whether they are quick cooking or regular). Rolled oats are...
- Oatmeal-Based Fat-Free Cookie Recipes
The best tasty recipes for quick and easy fat-free cookies, including Oatmeal-Raisin, Oatmeal-Brownie, Orange-Cranberry, Pumpkin-Raisin, and Oatmeal-Ginger.
- how effective is oatmeal diet
Diet is a word of health as well as fashion these days. Everybody knows what diet means and everybody follows it either directly or indirectly. One very misconception about diet is it is used to lose weight....
- Sour Cream Muffins - Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip and Blu...
These muffins are super moist and never dry out as some muffins can. Try them and then try the variations below. The sour cream gives them their moisture and baking them at 325 degrees also helps make these...
- Spice Up Your Oatmeal
A good breakfast is always a good way to start your day. In addition to energy and nutrition, there is the psychological or spiritual uplift that comes from an enjoyable morning ritual. In America we have...