- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Vegetable Main & Side Dish Recipes
Delicious Meals: Stuffed Peppers
My friend, Tyrone, is enjoying cooking for the first family. But occasionally, he likes to share his recipes with the public. Our mutual friend, Leroy, is also good friends with the FLOTUS. Sometimes they have a wild time!
Well, Leroy can't cook so he asked Tyrone to help him learn. Since the FLOTUS has been a little upset with Leroy lately, Tyrone had to sneak him into the White House kitchen for a lesson. Leroy listened attentively, followed instructions and didn't tell jokes and wisecracks! The stuffed peppers came out perfectly!
- 4 Bell Peppers, mix of colors
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Cup Chopped onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Package Lean Ground Turkey, or Beef
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Basil
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 can Seasoned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked Brown Rice, or White Rice
- 6 Ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, finely diced
- 3/4 Cup Fresh bread crumbs, whole wheat
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Butter, melted, or Margarine
- Paprika, optional
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Cook rice according to package directions.
- Cut peppers lengthwise through stems keeping stem halves intact to hold stuffing OR cut across the top. Discard seeds and veins.
- Cook in boiling salted water 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender; add salt to water after it has come to a boil; drain well and place cut side up in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crumble turkey (or beef) into skillet; add basil, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and rice; continue to cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese.
- Mound mixture into peppers.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle evenly over filled peppers. Sprinkle with Paprika, if desired.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown, filling is hot and peppers are tender.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||297|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 33 g||51%|
|Carbohydrates 38 g||13%|
|Protein 44 g||88%|
|Cholesterol 144 mg||48%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
According to Tyrone, the mild and juicy bell peppers that we love to stuff belong to the same family of capsicum as all the hot peppers: jalapeno, cayenne and habanero peppers, to name a few.
If there ever was a complete meal in one package, stuffed peppers are it, packing proteins and carbs into a flavorful vegetable cup. All you need with this meal is a salad and bread.
One tip Tyrone wants to add is in order to make sure peppers are dry before stuffing, pat insides dry with clean paper towels.
Tyrone had a great time teaching this recipe to Leroy. Try it yourself and enjoy!
© 2012. Dexter Yarbrough. All Rights Reserved.
- Delicious Meals: Classy Lasagna
For those that read my series, The Morning Conversations of Barack & Michelle Obama, you are familiar with the White House chef, Tyrone. Well, Tyrone has decided to share another of his great recipes with the general public: classy lasagna.
- Breakfast: English Muffin Sandwiches
Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! Why? Because my day usually goes well when I relax, have a good breakfast, take my vitamins and start off with a smile. English Muffin Sandwiches are a great, simple meal to help get your day going!
- Delicious Butter Cookies Recipe
By Dexter Yarbrough. In today's world of no fat, low cholesterol diets, calorie busting cookies sure don't win any brownie points! But getting your toned butt and abs off the treadmill for a treat...
- Green Tea for Healthy Aging
By Dexter Yarbrough. Green tea is a beneficial heart healthy beverage. Green tea also can be helpful to your oral healthcare. Green tea is great for reducing belly fat.
- Best Cancer Fighting Fruits - Berries
By Dexter Yarbrough. Berries are extremely nutritious. Berries are full of vitamins and minerals. They are especially rich in vitamin C and fiber.
- Dexter Yarbrough on Hubpages
By Dexter Yarbrough. When I first came to Hubpages, I didn't know what to expect. Within hours of signing up, I had fan mail welcoming me and a few followers.