- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Dips to Make for Your TailGate Party
Sausage,Bean, Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Hearty Sausage, Bean, Spinach and Artichoke Dip
You know autumn has arrived when the morning air grows crisp, the foliage changes color and football season returns. Whether you are planning to have the gang over to watch college football on a Saturday afternoon, or you are rendezvousing at the stadium parking lot for pregame festivities, you’ll want to pack a good appetizer or two to share.
One of my favorites happens to come from a Southern Living magazine and it has all the hearty ingredients that are sure to be a crowd pleaser. I know my family loved it. The ingredients are easy to find in any grocery store and are familiar flavors: sausage, beans, white wine and spinach are a few of the ingredients blended together to make this party dip. In my version, I added artichokes to the batch. Why? I happen to have a large jar of artichoke hearts in my refrigerator and I am always looking for innovative ways to add them to a meal. If you don’t happen to have the same passion for this delicious vegetable, leave it out. After all, you’re the cook!
For my household I cut this recipe in half and used a smaller casserole dish to put the dip in. It was just the right amount for us for the evening. Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers. They are just as delicious the second day of dipping!
How to cook a hearty party dipClick thumbnail to view full-size
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (1 lb.) package ground pork sausage, HOT
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 C dry white wine, or cooking wine
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, soft
- 1 (6 oz) package fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt, optional
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 C artichoke hearts, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- Variety of dippers corn chips, crackers or pretzel rods
Please rate this Party Dip recipe
Cooking Football Food:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook onion, pepper, and sausage in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir often to break up the sausage to make it crumbly. Drain off grease, but return meat to pan.
- Stir in garlic and thyme cooking for 1 minute
- Add white wine and allow to cook for 2 minutes
- Add cream cheese and cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until the cream cheese is melted.
- Stir in spinach and (optional) salt. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly, or until the spinach is wilted.
- Gently stir in the beans and artichokes. Pour mixture into a (2 qt.) baking dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with crackers, corn chips or pretzel rods.
Quick and Easy Hummus Dip
Hummus is a wonderful addition to a gathering. Hummus is a Mediterranean food that consists of chick peas, olive oil, lemon juice and garlic blended together. It's usually served with pita bread, but any dipper will do!
Cook Time: 10 minutes to prepare and serve
15 oz. can chickpeas
1 clove garlic
1/4 C olive oil, plus additional to sprinkle on top after making
2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T Tahini (Sesame Seed paste; Optional)
1 tsp ground cumin
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1-2 T water to food processor as needed
Puree chick peas, garlic, 1/4 c. olive oil, lemon juice, Tahini, cumin and salt in food processor until smooth and creamy. Add 1-2 T of water as necessary to reach desired consistency. Transfer to serving bowl and drizzle with additional olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika. Serve with pita bread.
Fresh avocados, tomatoes and lime juice are a great combination for guacamole dip. It's such a simple dip to make and serve with corn chips. This recipe will serve four. Just double the ingredients for a larger crowd. Be sure to cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1 large tomato, seeded and diced
1/3 C. sweet onion, diced
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
2 T fresh squeezed lime juice
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Place avocado in medium bowl and mash until chunky. Stir in all other ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with corn chips.
More Party Dips with cream cheese
- Three Easy Dips Using Cream Cheese
Hosting a party? Attending a party and need to bring a dish to share? Looking for food to serve at a Super Bowl Party? Here are three easy dips using cream cheese that are quick and will get rave reviews.