Easy Cheesy Chicken Macaroni Salad
This chicken macaroni salad is so easy to make and basically no major cooking required except for boiling the pasta and the chicken. In addition, I’ve also used some low fat and much healthier choice ingredients. Unlike the traditional recipe, I used whole-wheat pasta (elbow macaroni) and low-calorie mayonnaise, added some fiber from raisins and protein from the chicken breast.
Chicken macaroni salad is a staple side dish for most Filipino households especially on Christmas and New Year. However, it is also perfect for picnics and family gatherings. It is also great with barbeque and other grilled foods.
- 1 packet whole wheat Elbow macaroni (boiled)
- Boneless chicken breast (boiled and cubed or shredded)
- 1 can pineapple chunks (drained)
- Minced Spanish onion (optional)
- Diced red bell pepper (optional)
- Celery stalks (cut into small cubes)
- Mayonnaise (Low-fat)
- Lady’s Choice Sandwich Spread
- Cheddar cheese (cubed)
- Salt & Pepper (to taste)
N.B. As you will notice, I don't measure the rest of the ingredients. You simply toss the rest depending on your taste and your like. For example, if you like raisins, then go ahead put more and if you don't like much of the pineapple then, by all means reduce it.~
Quick Tips for perfect pasta:
1. While boiling pasta, put a drop of olive oil in the water to prevent the pasta from sticking together.
2. Right after boiling the pasta, run it quickly over cold water and then drain.
Also visit other recipes by CrisSp:
- How to Roast a Turkey - 10 Easy Steps
It's that time of the year again! Are you ready for your turkey? Here's a no sweat, very straight forward procedure on how to get that tender, juicy roasted turkey with no muss, no fuss and a lot less mess. Simply glorious and delicious!
- No-bake, Low-fat Strawberry Cheesecake
Did you know? Strawberry lovers are noted to be health conscious, fun loving, intelligent and happy people?
I bet, you’d appreciate the absolute simplicity of its ingredients and so here’s how to make it:
- Boil chicken with chop onions, salt and pepper until tender. Drain and cut into small cubes or shred.
- Using the same chicken broth, boil the macaroni as directed in the package.
- Drain the macaroni well and place in a large container for tossing with other ingredients.
- Add the mayonnaise (and /or Ladies Choice sandwich spread). Mix well.
- Add chicken, minced onions, red bell pepper (if using) and cheddar cheese. Mix well.
- Toss in pineapple chunks, celery stalks and raisins. Mix well again.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for about an hour and serve.
Your ratings appreciated. Rate here:
Calories in homemade macaroni salad per serving size:
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 27 g||9%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 12 mg||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Copyright@CrisSp/12-2012. Fearless but not Heartless!
© 2012 CrisSp