- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Easy Peasy Shredded Chicken Nachos
Nachos are one of those great meals like Bean and Beef Burritos or Hawaiian Haystacks, where you can simply set out all of the ingredients possible and your family members or guests can pick and choose how they want to make their meals.
And how can you go wrong with chips, cheese and tons of wonderful goodies to go on top?
I'm a huge veggie person and would top all of my dinner dishes with extra veggies if it made sense. We had Easy Peasy Delicious Chicken Fajitas last night and I added asparagus and mushrooms to my tortilla, lol.
My husband on the other hand is a typical man and just wanted meat and cheese and cheese and cheese. He would probably have put potatoes onto his nachos had I made some.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we did! Good luck!
- 1 large bag tortilla chips
- 1 large breast chicken
- 1 (15oz) can refried beans
- 1 Velveeta Queso Dip recipe, (1lb of Velveeta and 1 can of Rotel)
- 1 Guacamole Dip recipe, (2 avocados and 1/2 cup of salsa)
- 15 small cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 large Romaine leaves of lettuce
- So I'm getting much better at this whole cooking chicken on the stove thing; even better than my husband I think!
- Start by thawing your chicken. How you do so is your choice as there are so many options.
- When thawed, place it into a skillet and cook it over medium heat. You'll want to cook it on this first side for about 5 minutes or so, until it turns brown.
- While cooking, open up your can of refried beans.
- Dump your beans into a bowl and smash them down so you can cook them.
- Cover and cook them for about 2 1/2 minutes. Mix them well.
- I usually add in 1/2 cup of water to my refried beans to thin them out for nachos so they can be easily spread.
- Mix your water in thoroughly and set them aside.
- When your chicken has browned on one side, turn your chicken breast over. Turn the temperature on the stove down a notch or two, cover your chicken and cook slowly for another 10 minutes or so.
- Start cooking your queso, following my Easy Peasy Cheesy Velveeta Queso Dip recipe. You'll want to keep a close eye on it, stirring frequently, so it doesn't burn.
- Now start making your guacamole following my Quick and Easy Creamy Guacamole Dip recipe. You'll need 2 avocados, at least a 1/2 a cup of salsa, some lemon juice and some salt.
- When your chicken is done all the way through, you'll want to transfer it to a cutting board.
- Shred it with two forks to be ready for your nachos.
- If you wish to, you'll also want to chop up your tomatoes and lettuce so that it's ready when your nachos are ready.
- Lay a plate with tortilla chips and set it near your queso.
- Start your nachos by spreading a layer of refried beans on your chips.
- Next, spread your shredded chicken on top of your chips and beans.
- Now it's time for your yummy queso! I mean, you need cheese for nachos, right?
- Dollop your guacamole onto your nachos.
- Then your tomatoes and lettuce and voila!
|Serving size: 1 salad plate of nachos|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 6 g||30%|
|Carbohydrates 33 g||11%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 16 g||32%|
|Cholesterol 50 mg||17%|
|Sodium 842 mg||35%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
If you're planning on using chicken in your nachos, I highly suggest shredding it with two forks after cooking it rather than cutting it into chunks.
I guess it really makes a difference what you prefer, but shredded chicken will spread further making it seem as if you have more, allow you to enjoy the tastes of all of your ingredients together rather than huge chunks of chicken alone, and I think taste better!
That's one huge plus about this meal! You can make them exactly like you want to!
You can see in the final picture, that my husband likes Easy Peasy Hamburger Nachos topped with tons of sour cream and even more shredded cheese, whereas I like mine topped with tons of great veggies.
How do you like your nachos?
What is your favorite nacho topping?
© 2014 Victoria Van Ness