- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy Homemade Mac 'N Cheese
I was in the mood for a good dish of macaroni and cheese the other day and I happened to have some Velveeta in the fridge. I do not normally have Velveeta in the house. This had been used for a special recipe and there was a little of it left over. I decided to take advantage of the situation and make myself some velvety, homemade mac 'n cheese. I like the boxed stuff, too, on occasion, but I do not eat it often.
I used to make mac 'n cheese with Velveeta about 5 years ago, when my kids were younger. I did not add any salt or pepper to it back then, just milk and butter. I have not taken the time to make it that way in a while because my kids decided they liked the boxed macaroni and cheese version better. I just sort of stopped buying and using Velveeta. I did not grow up with it so I did not miss it, but my husband did and he had a special request recipe a few weeks back, so he brought the Velveeta home from the store. We actually made really good queso dip with it.
Anyway, this version of mac 'n cheese is so simple and only takes about 15 - 20 minutes altogether, it really just depends on your cooling time. I would suggest you cut the Velveeta into cubes so it melts more quickly. The mozzarella definitely melts very well into this mac 'n cheese, too. It is extremely smooth and creamy when it is done. I hope you enjoy this wonderful, comforting and quick meal of homemade mac 'n cheese!
- 8 oz elbow macaroni, cooked according to label
- 4 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp salt, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp pepper, freshly ground
How to Make It
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions. Mine had to boil for 8-10 minutes (it actually went the whole 10 minutes), if you use whole grain macaroni it can take even longer. I then drained, but did not rinse, the noodles.
- Place the cooked macaroni back into the pot on the stove. Turn the heat onto low. Add in the milk, butter, salt and pepper. Add the cheeses and continue stirring. You could add some cheddar cheese to give the sauce a little more sharpness if you like. I left it out of mine, since I was really trying to get my kids to eat homemade mac 'n cheese again. It has been a very long time since I made it.
- Heat the macaroni noodles and the cheeses until the cheeses completely melt. Keep stirring continually over the heat and the sauce will begin to thicken. This should only take a couple of minutes.
- Let cool slightly, especially for kids, and serve. We sometimes put hot dogs and ketchup in mac 'n cheese, which my son did and he absolutely loved it. My daughter still likes the boxed mac 'n cheese better, she only took a couple of bites, but I'll take one kid loving my meal any day! Hope you enjoy my ridiculously easy mac 'n cheese.