- Food and Cooking
Eggnog - The Basic Recipe Plus Variations
Eggnog has long been a favorite high protein beverage. Although it is usually associated with the holidays and other celebrations, it's enjoyed by many year round. The basic eggnog recipe is so simple and easy to make; why not indulge once in a while?
When I prepare eggnog, I almost always make two batches; one for the kids and one for the adults. The minors will be served the original recipe, while the adults may choose to have theirs spiked with rum, brandy or whiskey. If you enjoy the rum flavor but don't want to consume any alcohol; you can substitute with rum flavoring or extract, which is just as delicious in my opinion.
Below, you will find the basic recipe I use for making this delicious drink plus variations. You might want to try my recipe for eggnog pie too. It's very rich so it should be served in smaller portions.
- 6 eggs, large
- 6 cups milk, whole
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract, pure
- 1/4 cup sugar, pure cane
- 1/2 tsp. salt, table
Mix it up
- In large mixing bowl, add the eggs. Beat until thick and smooth.
- Add the sugar and salt. Beat until sugar and salt are totally dissolved.
- Next, add the vanilla. Then while still mixing, slowly add the milk.
- Mix until smooth with frothy top.
- Serve right away or store in refrigerator until ready to serve. If eggnog is being stored in the refrigerator for later use, be sure to give it another mix with the mixer or blender before serving.
- Serve within 24 hours for best flavor.
1 cup sugar
4 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
OPTIONAL - peach or apricot brandy
In a large mixing bowl add the eggs, beat until smooth. Then add the sugar, beat on medium for about 30 seconds.. Next add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, milk, vanilla extract and cream. Beat until desired thickness.
Serve immediately or keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
OPTIONAL; Stir in 1 or 2 tablespoons of brandy to each one cup serving if desired.
Eggnog Made with Egg Substitute
Eggnog is Great Anytime of Year
Eggnog is not only to be enjoyed during the holidays but is delicious any time of year. It's an excellent and delicious way to add protein and calcium to your diet but be cautious if your counting calories.
So don't wait for the holidays to enjoy this luscious drink, make yourself an individual serving or two anytime.
- Easy Overnight French Toast Recipes: How To Make Ove...
Combining french toast with the wonderful flavors of eggnog makes for a wonderful breakfast recipe but what I love about this most of all is being able to prepare it ahead the night before and pop it in the oven. Serve this with real maple syrup,...
- Eggnog Jenkins and the Flatrock Five
A funny childrens short story that kids and adults will enjoy. Clean humor and a strong storyline is proudly presented into my first story for kids.
- Eggnog Recipes - Cookies, French Toast, Cheesecake &...
There's nothing like a good, cold glass of eggnog at Christmas and/or New Years. Here are some eggnog recipes, including eggnog cookies, cheesecake, and waffles. Creamy Eggnog Punch 8 cups prepared eggnog 2 tubs (8 oz) Cool Whip French Vanilla...