- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Grilled Cheese for Adults and Kids too!!
A sophisticated version of a simple childhood classic makes this one not just for kids, but adults too. It is so tasty and even though it has cheese, which many adults believe to be so unhealthy it is so very yummy that guess what even my 3 year old loves it. Granted she has never been a picky eater, but still this one can be made and enjoyed by both my husband and myself (the adults), as well as my 3 year old too, which makes this truly an enjoyable meal to make.
I literally found this one in my Sunday paper and it was first created by Ellie Krieger, but added a few of my own touches (Only modified it ever so slightly, because it was so good already) like making the onions ahead of time and using monterey jack cheese, because that truly is the longest and hardest part of this recipe, as well as my favorite cheese. Many of my recipes have come from family members, as well as from my favorite Food Network stars (I am a junkie for this channel). And this one is truly delicious whether eaten in the summer with a smoothie or in the winter with a nice bowl of soup too!!
So I hope you get to try this one soon and enjoy!!!
Who is Ellie Krieger?
Before I go any further, I would like to give a bit of background information on the chef that originated this recipe. Ellie Krieger, according to her website, is the host of the The Food Network’s hit show “Healthy Appetite,” which airs on The Cooking Channel. I have watched her show as time permits and have been completely taken with her warmth and how much she truly cares about making healthy and nutritious meals. It would appear that her success has occurred because of how she offers real life advice without using gimmicks or fad diets. Her message is quite simple that we must be educated on how to balance our lives with a healthy and nutritious diet. Ellie has quite an extensive education and is a registered dietitian after having attended Teacher’s College, Columbia University. I truly admire what she is educated in, because my very good friend, Natalie is also a registered dietitian and know first hand from her what this entails as far as the course work and certification.
Ellie has also worked alongside the First Lady Michelle Obama on the "Let's Move" campaign, where she headed a nutrition education initiative at the "Healthy Kids Fair" in 2010 in the White House kitchen, where she prepared an assortment of fresh fruits and vegetables. She actually called upon the kids to as she called it "eat the rainbow" (fruits and vegetables) everyday. Yet again she used her knowledge base to challenge and engage kids to eat healthier. In New York City, she also worked with SchoolFood to create healthy and delicious meals for all the city's students, because her daughter is also a product of NYC schools. So she was giving back at a grass roots level so to speak. She is a true inspiration and can honestly say that I am very honored to get to watch and try any of her recipes. To find even more out about Ellie Krieger you can follow her on Facebook and/or Twitter too!
- 2 Tsps. Canola Oil
- 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1/2 Tsp. Curry Powder
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper
- 8 Thin Slices Monterey Jack Cheddar Cheese
- 8 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 Large or 2 Medium Ripe Beefsteak Tomatoes
|Serving size: 4 Servings|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 10 g||50%|
|Unsaturated fat 8 g|
|Carbohydrates 29 g||10%|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 19 g||38%|
|Cholesterol 45 mg||15%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- Heat the oil in a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onion. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and cook uncovered for an additional 10-12 minutes or until the onions are golden brown and the edges are too.
- Stir in the curry powder and cayenne pepper. These onions can actually be made up to 3 days in advance.
- Place one slice of cheddar cheese on each of 4 slices of bread. Spread a quarter of the caramelized onions on top, then place one large or 2 medium slice tomato. Place another slice of cheese on top of that, then the other slice of bread.
- Wipe out the skillet (if onions were just cooked), then coat with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Place one of the sandwiches in the skillet and weigh down with a small heavy skillet.
- Lower the heat to medium-low heat and grill until the underside is a deep brown and the cheese is partially melted, about 3-4 minutes. Flip the sandwich and grill the other side, another 3 minutes.
- Slice in half and serve hot!!!
Read My Other Recipes Now:
- Healthy Children's Meal: Veggie Bean Tacos
This hub is a recipe for Veggie Bean Tacos. this recipe is both delicious and healthy too.
- Healthier Chicken Sausage and Peppers with Bowties
This is a recipe given to me by my dear friend at my bridal shower. The recipe is for a healthier version of sausage and peppers with bow ties that uses chicken sausage not pork.
- Dump Cake--An Easy and Inexpensive Dessert Recipe
This is recipe for an extremely easy and quick dessert recipe. It is called a Dump Cake and has fruit, nuts and cake mix.