Healthier Chicken Sausage and Peppers with Bowties
Back in 2006, my mom threw my bridal shower before I married my husband. She included recipe cards in with the invitations and gave instructions to each person to fill their card outwith their favorite recipe and bring to my bridal shower to share with me as a present for life. It didn't cost anything to fill out these cards, but instead it was a way to jump start my future recipe box. I have always loved to cook and this was an ingenious way for my mom to have my family and friends help me out in the beginning of my marriage.
One such recipe that I received was from my very good friend and maid of honor, Natalie. She wrote down one of her mom's favorite recipes, which Natalie put her own flair to (Natalie is a registered dietitian). The recipe was for sausage and peppers with bow ties, but Natalie being health conscious substituted pork sausage with chicken sausage.
Not only is this recipe delicious and a bit healthier, but also was special to me, because it was from her mother's recipe box. See Natalie's mom had already passed away by the time I was given this recipe, but from the beginning of our friendship Natalie's mom was truly just a wonderful and loving person. Unfortunately, her mom ended up being diagnosed with cancer and passed away right after I had gotten engaged.
However, I never will forget her mom, because she was actually one of the first people to tell me what I know and hold dear to me now, that my husband, Kevin (boyfriend at the time) was a the one for me. She saw him interacting with one of her friend's younger son at their annual family/friend barbecue and was floored at how good my then boyfriend was with young children. She told me right then and there that he was a true keeper.
Well, flash forward to the here and now, most who have been following me know that Kevin and I have been married for over 6 years now and this recipe is one we use often and still remains close to my heart knowing where it originated from and today I am sharing it with everyone.
- 1 Package Chicken Sausage
- 4 Bell Peppers, 2 Red, 2 Green
- 1 Box Bowties
- 1 Onion, Vidalia (because it is sweeter than most)
- 1 can or 15 oz. Tomato Sauce, Preferrably Hunt's
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, Pressed if possible
- Rinse peppers. Take seeds out. Cut in quarters. Dice onion. Mince the garlic with a garlic press if possible. Leave in a bowl.
- Strip casing from the sausage and cut in fours.
- In a non-stick skillet, sauté sausage on low (use olive oil). Put on lid 5-10 minutes. Drain fat.
- Put sausage on paper towels on plate and cover it.
- Boil water for the pasta. Wash skillet.
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil. Medium heat to sauté veggies 5-10 minutes of until browned. Put sausage back in.
- Open sauce. Pour over cooked sausage. Saute for another 5-10 minutes on low flame.
- Drain pasta. Put in bowl. Pour skillet over pasta. Toss and serve with grated cheese, italian bread and wine of possible.
Summing it up...
Thank you again to my loyal and wonderful friend, Natalie and her amazing mom for this one. I will never forget Natalie's mom or how this recipe came about. I do hope when you have the time and leisure you will try this recipe out. It is truly a delicious and unique spin on a classic Italian dish. I mean who doesn't love pasta and of course sausage and peppers are usually a hit too. So, as the Italians say, "Mangia!"
Some of Janine Huldie's Other Recipes (Entrees and Desserts)..
- Loud Quesadillas
This hub is a recipe for Quesadillas. It is a variation of a quesadilla that is a bit healthier and pretty easy to make called a Loud Quesadilla.
- Healthy Children's Meal: Veggie Bean Tacos
This hub is a recipe for Veggie Bean Tacos. this recipe is both delicious and healthy too.
- The Best 4th of July Marinated Flank Steak
This hub is a recipe for the summertime and 4th of July using the grill. Specifically it is a marinade for grilling flank steak.
- Spaghetti with Mediterranean Salsa--An Quick and Easy, but Delicious Recipe
This is a recipe for Mediterranean Past. This recipe requires Spaghetti and is a quick, light easy recipe for the summertime.
- Strawberry Cream Freeze Waffle Cones
This is a summertime favorite recipe that I have masters for my family. It is called a Strawberry Cream Freeze in Waffle Cones.
- Kid Friendly Pina Colada Ice Cream Smoothie
This hub is a recipe for an all American favorite drink. The recipe is for a non-alcoholic Pina Colada Smoothie.