- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Hearty Rice with Bacon, Black Beans, and Corn.
This rice is a meal by itself. It's hearty and tasty! This is also my son's favorite meal. It's great for when you want to make food for a sick friend. You can make a big pot of this rice for your friend and she/he can feed him/herself and her/his family for days! It's great for potlucks and any other festivity. Also, it taste very good with avocados, plantains, or even a ripe banana on the side! Enjoy! Click here for the Sofrito Hub
- 1/2 pack Bacon, (can substitute sausage, roasted pork etc.)
- 3 Heaping tablespoons Sofrito, check the Sofrito link above or below:)
- 1 Chicken bouillon
- 1 packet Sazon con Azafran (picture provided in this hub), can buy this in the ethnic section of your grocery store
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce, can skip this ingredient if you don't have it on hand
- salt, to your taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
- 3 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups long grain rice
- Cut the bacon (easier to do when it is semi-frozen) width-wise into .5 x. 5 inch pieces.
- In a deep Pot (that has a good lid-tight seal) cook the bacon until it is very crispy, almost burned.
- Add the Sofrito. If you don't know how to make Sofrito, check the link above or below. If you don't have Sofrito made, take 1/4 green pepper, 1/4 onion, 4 garlic cloves and 1 cup of cilantro. Chop it all up very fine, and add this to the bacon. Cook at med temp until the veggies get pretty mushy.
- Add the chicken bouillon, "Sazon", tomato sauce, olive oil, water, corn, and beans.
- Taste the mix in the pot to see if it needs more salt (there is already some salt in some of the other ingredients). Some people might be on a low sodium diet. I, personally, add salt until it almost taste too salty. (about 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt) Don't worry, it will taste great when its done. The rice will soak it up. Stir.
- keep stirring and bring to a boil, add the rice, and stir again. Cover and simmer on a low temp for about 25 minutes. The lid should create a tight seal, if not, put some tin foil to cover the top of the pot and then cover it with the lid.
- After 25 minutes, taste to make sure the rice is cooked and soft. Turn the rice over to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- Serve as a main dish or side dish. Enjoy!
- How to Make Sofrito
Sofrito is a mixture of vegetables that will add a great flavor to rice, meat, soups, and many other dishes! Many Latin dishes call for this combination of vegetables. I personally use it often and so I make a lot, save it in a jar, and scoop it out
- Healthy and Delicious Sausage Fried Rice
My family loves to eat fried rice and I change up the recipes often depending on what I have in the refrigerator, hee hee. I usually use broccoli and chicken, but this time I had zucchini and chicken sausage. I thought it was delicious! If you try it
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
We loved this recipe! It was easy to make and very delicious. This is perfect for any occasion.