- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Easy Homemade Mayo Recipe
A few minutes to make!
My family recently began reading labels and learning more about the foods that we were putting into our bodies. Am I a "hippe"? Nah, my husband likes to call me that though! We simply decided that our family ate too many convenience foods and WAY too many things that we couldn't pronounce! I am certain that If my grandmother were alive today, she would shake her head at my old shopping carts. The woman lived 77 years and never believed that biscuits came from cans!
So, armed with a few hundred websites and a family of 7 behind me...I began tackling each item on our shopping list. This week, it was mayonnaise.
Remember when I said that there were too many ingredients that I couldn't pronounce going into our bodies...Check out the label for your store bought Mayo....13 ingredients... one of which is Calcium Disodium.
Do you know what Calcium Disodium EDTA (used to protect quality) is.... check out http://whatisthatingredient.com/ingredient.php?id=64 ..here's part of what it says about where Calcium Disodium EDTA comes from...
Where does CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA come from?
It is made from formaldehyde, sodium cayanide, and Ethylenediamine.
Does the store bought mayo still sound good to you?
After reading this, I decided to make my own homemade mayo. It consists of only a few ingredients and is SO Easy to make. I opted not to put the formaldehyde in my recipe...thank you!
This is a simple recipe and easily tweaked for specialty sandwich spreads.
- Add Sweet pickles and onion for a homemade tartar sauce!
- Toss in some hot sauce for a buffalo mayo
- Add extra garlic for a fancy garlic aioli
Ready to Get Cooking?
Click HERE for a tasty homemade zucchini cake recipe that goes well with your homemade mayo!
Make 5 minute hummus by following the recipe HERE.
Do you know what the difference between All Natural and Organic is???
Click HERE to read about it!
Want to save money and get healthy by avoiding convenience foods?
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup oil, olive oil, canola, vegetable
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, (optional)
- to taste salt and pepper
2 basic steps
- Put your egg, oil mustard, and seasonings into the blender or mixing bowl. You CAN also make this with a whisk..if you are energetic! :) Blend on low speed
- After a few seconds, begin to drizzle the oil in while you are on low speed..then...crank it up! Speed up your mixer and let it go for anywhere from 5 to ten minutes. You will know it is done when your mixture takes the form of a traditional mayo!