- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
How to make Indian style Bataka Vada
First few initial steps for making Bataka Vada
- Start off initially by boiling 4-5 big potatoes without peeling them.
- If you are going to pressurize them in the pressure cooker you will need to let go 4-5 whistles to cook your potatoes properly.
- After your potatoes are cooked take them out and peel off their outer coatings.
- Start my cutting them into small pieces so that it is easy to smash them.
After they are fully smashed do the following steps:
- take 2 ts of coriander powder or cumin powder and sprinkle it on the top of the smashed potatoes
- take 1-2 ts of red chili powder or red crushed powder and add it to the smashed potatoes (take less chilly if you don't want it to be too spicy)
- take 1/2 spoon of turmeric and add it to the smashed potatoes
- take 1 spoon of salt and follow the same steps
- take 1/2 spoon of garam masala and follow the same steps
Now in a separate pan take some oil or solid butter and heat it till it gets liquified. Add some chopped green peppers and mustard seeds in the oil or butter. Heat it till the peppers are fried. Add this hot pan mixture in the above potato ingredients. The latter should look something like the picture below
How to make Bataka Vada
The main ingredients of Bataka Vada includes:
- Butter/oil/Indian ghee
- Mustard seeds
- Coriander powder/cumin powder
- red crushed peppers or red chilly powder
- Garam masala
- Green hot peppers/green chillies
- Chickpeas or garbanzo bean flour and
Now mix the potatoes and all the ingredients nicely till they are mixed up well. Make sure to taste the salt. If you think you need a little salt add it now. Also take some cilantro and chopped it into small and tiny pieces. Add the cilantro in the mixture and mix it up well.
How to make Garbanzo/chick peas flour for coating
Now take some Garbanzo or chick peas flour and follow the following steps
- Take 2 cups of chick peas flour
- add some water (go slowly on water otherwise you will end up making a lot)
- keep adding water slowly till the flour and water mixes up nicely and the coating comes out to be thick.
- Add the following
- 1 ts of red chilly powder
- 1/2 ts of turmeric powder
- 1/2 ts of garam masala
- 1 ts of coriander or cumin powder
- 1/2 ts of salt
- 2 ts of oil
- squeeze half a lemon (optional step)
Mix it all together till it comes out like this (look at the picture below)
Snippet of how to make garbanzo/chickpeas flour for coating the Bataka vada
- 2 cups chickpeas flour
- 1ts red chilly powder
- 1ts coriander powder
- 1/2ts turmeric powder
- 1/2 ts salt
- 1/2 ts garam masala
- 1/2 lemon (optional)
Heat the oil
- Now take the smashed potatoes and make small round balls.
- Dip the balls in the chickpeas flour. Meanwhile keep the oil in the pan at low flame. Make sure the pan has enough oil so that the balls dip properly.
- Check the temperature of the oil by taking tiny bit of chickpeas flour and dipping into the pre-heat oil. If the oil is heated well the Bataka Vada comes out good.
Dip the balls in the flour
- Dip the balls in the flour
- Check the oil temperature
- check the consistency of the flour (make sure the flour is thick enough so that the balls are coated properly)
- add 4-5 balls in the pan at a time to avoid them sticking together.
- Fry till the outer coating of the ball turns golden brown.
Heat it at slow flame
The end result is as below.
Bataka Vada: Is an Indian Gujarati Food. It is very famous in Maharashtra (MUMBAI) by the name VADAPAV. Bataka in Gujarati language means Potatoes. It's a very delicious item and is sometimes used as snacks.
HOPE YOU ALL LIKE IT !!
© 2014 Sweeta