- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
How to Make a Really Easy Sponge Cake Plus 5 Tips to Make it Something Really Special
This quick and easy recipe makes a beautiful light and airy basic sponge cake.
Of course you can add your own touches and turn it into something much more special.
For example, a lemon drizzle cake, a carrot cake with frosting, a Victoria sponge. Whatever you like really.
And the beauty is you don´t even need a set of weighing scales. All the ingredients are weighed in a yogurt pot!
This recipe really is so easy and quick, even total novices would have a hard time getting it wrong.
1 x 125g pot of Natural yogurt ( use this pot to measure the rest of the ingredients).
3 x pots of plain flour.
2 x pots of sugar.
1 x pot of cooking oil ( sunflower oil is good. Olive oil is a bit too strongly flavoured).
3 Medium to large sized eggs.
2 Scant teaspoons of raising agent ( Baking powder).
A few drops of vanilla essence.
Making the Basic Sponge Cake.
- Tip the natural yogurt into a mixing bowl and use the empty container to measure out the rest of the ingredients.
- Add all the ingredients to the yogurt in the mixing bowl and beat everything together until it resembles a smooth thick paste. That´s it for the mixing.
- Now tip the cake into a greased baking tin.Or a cake tin lined with greasproof paper and smooth the top. The baking tin needs to be about 24cm round.
- Place the cake into a pre heated oven. Gas mark 4 or 350f 180c if your oven is electric. Put it on the middle shelf.
- Bake for about 45 minutes. But do check during this time to see how it´s getting along. You will know when it´s cooked as it will be golden brown in colour. Slightly shrunk away from the sides of the tin. And will spring back into shape if you press your finger gently into the middle of the cake.
5 Tips to Turn This Easy Cake Into Something Special.
1. Turn it into a Lemon or Orange Drizzle Cake
Add the grated rind of 2 lemons or 1 large orange to the cake mix and bake.
When it´s cooled mix the juice of the orange or lemon with 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar and drizzle this over the top.
2. Turn it into a Carrot Cake
Add 3 peeled and finely grated carrots to the mixture plus 1 or 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, stir in well and bake. Walnut chips may also be added.
Make the frosting by mixing a small tub of cream cheese with a few drops of vanilla essence, and icing sugar. Add enough icing sugar until the mixture is fairly stiff.
You can cut the cake in half if you wish and spread a layer of frosting there and on the top of the cake or use the whole lot on the top and sides of the cake. ( Freeze any left over frosting to use on cup cakes).
If you want to make it extra special dye some marzipan orange and some green and make little carrot shapes to trim up the top. Or dot with walnut halves.
3. Turn it into a Victoria Sponge
Just slice the cake in half and spread with a really good layer of strawberry jam and then a really thick layer of whipped cream, before sandwiching back together. Sieve icing sugar over the top of the cake and serve.
4. Turn it into a Coffee Mocha Cake
Mix together a small tub of cream cheese and icing sugar ( to taste) and add either a few drops of coffee essence or use instant coffee powder or granules dissolved in a drop of water.
Spread this mix over the top and sides of the cake and dust lightly with icing sugar and dot with almond slivers, or walnut halves.
5. Turn it into a Spiced Apple Cake
Just add 2 peeled, cored and very finely diced eating apples and a teaspoon of mixed spice into the cake mix .
Give it a good stir and bake as normal.
Dust lightly with icing sugar before serving still warm with extra thick cream or mascarpone cheese.
The Last Word
These are only 5 ways to make your really easy sponge cake into something really special...be inventive and add your own touches to create a masterpiece on a plate...Enjoy!
Rate This Recipe
More Recipe Ideas From bac2basics
- How To Make Arroz Al Horno - A Classic Spanish Dish - Plus Serving Suggestions
Re-creat your holidays in sunny Spain by preparing this classic Spanish dish of pork and rice baked in the oven. Arroz al horno.Tips on making a Spanish type salad and typical pudding too.
What To Serve My Recipes On
- Beautiful Table And kitchen Ware From Portmeirion Pottery
If you love country cottage style in your home, or prefer something less ornate but classy you can´t go wrong with Portmeirion´s beautiful range of table and Kitchen ware.
Cake Decoration Ideas From Other Authors
- Spring Cake Decoration Using Fresh Flowers
Your spring cake will be a hit when you use fresh flowers to decorate it. Great for Mother's Day, Easter or spring birthday cakes. Ideas and instructions for spring cake decorating with fresh flowers. Bonus - how to make crystallized flowers.
Meet bac2basics And Discover Other Topics
I am bac2basics and write on many other topics all of which can be found here on Hubpages.com.
Some of my other hubs include supernatural and spiritual phenomenon, gardening hints and tips and how to save money in the garden and life in general. Health problems and cures. Life and wildlife in Spain. Travel guides and places I love to visit including many of my own happy memories. plus the odd poem of two and much more.
Please feel free to check out some of my other topics, you can find them all if you click on my profile.
Thank you for taking the time to read this Hub, I very much appreciate it :)
Your comments are always really appreciated so please do leave some..Thanks