How to Make Vegetable Upma?
Upma is a common breakfast recipe from South India. Upma with a strong filter coffee is a traditional breakfast in South Indian homes. Upma is a light and nutritious breakfast which is cooked using semolina and vegetables. It’s an easy recipe which doesn’t take much time to prepare. Upma can also be eaten as an evening snack. If you are looking for something light to eat which is nutritious & healthy then this recipe is definitely for you.
Ingredients for Vegetable Upma
- 1 1/2 cups semolina (rawa or suji)
- 1 medium carrots cut into ¼ inch cubes and blanched
- 6-8 french beans cut into ¼ inch cubes and blanched
- 1/4 cup green peas blanched
- 1 medium green capsicum chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 3 green chillies
- 1 inch piece ginger
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons split black gram without skin (dhuli urad dal)
- according to taste salt
- Chop onion, green chillies and ginger into very small pieces. Heat the cooking oil in a non stick pan. Now add mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add ginger, curry leaves and urad dal and sauté for a minute. Heat 3 cups water in another non stick pan and keep aside.
- Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. When the onion becomes golden in color, add semolina and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the green chillies, salt according to taste and mix. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add hot water to the pan and cook till most of the water is absorbed by the semolina. Add carrot, beans, peas and mix. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add capsicum and mix. Cover the pan again and cook till the semolina is properly cooked.
- Garnish the dish with coriander leaves and freshly scraped coconut. Serve the dish hot.
|Serving size: 1 serving|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 42 g||14%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 8 g||16%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 609 mg||25%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How To Make Veg Upma | Easy & Healthy Breakfast Recipe | Masala Trails
© 2019 Shaloo Walia