- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Indian style fried eggplant
Fried eggplant is a famous side dish of West Bengal (India). There are many ways of cooking it. I only know 2 ways of cooking it and am sharing with you all.
Cooking time 5 - 10 minutes
- Eggplant 2 medium size
- Salt as per taste
- Mustard oil for deep frying
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- red chili powder as per taste
- Flour 1/2 cup (optional)
- Dried mango powder 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Slice the eggplant in circular slices. Make sure that the pieces are thick (about half an inch thick )
- Mix salt, turmeric and red chili powder together. Pour about 1 tsp or more water to make a thick paste.
- You can even add flour in the paste and make a thin batter. This step is however optional. You can even add small chopped pieces of chili.
- Now coat the eggplant with the paste you made now.
- Heat mustard oil in pan.
- When the oil gets hot, add the eggplants in the oil and fry till the eggplants are light glden brown.
- Drain the eggplant on the paper towel and serve hot.
In case you want your fried eggplant to be more spicier, here is one more recipe -
Time 10-15 minutes
- Eggplant 2 meduim
- salt as per taste
- Onion sliced in thin pieces
- oil 3- 4 tsp (mustard oil is best while cooking egg plant, however you can use other oils too)
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder as per taste
- Tomato 1 big, sliced in small pieces
- Chili as per taste
- Dried mango powder 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Oil for shallow frying the eggplant pieces
- Cilantro/ coriander for garnishing
- Lemon juice as per taste (optional)
- Cut eggplant in circular pieces, make sure the pieces are not very thin or thick. Half an inch would be just fine.
- Shallow fry the egg plant pieces till they are golden brown.
- In a pan heat oil
- When the oil starts getting heated, add cumin seeds.
- Once the cumin seeds start spluttering, add the chopped onions and cook till the onions are light golden brown and soft.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and mix well. Let it cook for 1 minute.
- Now add all the spices (do not add salt) and mix well with the mixture and cook at least for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped pieces of tomatoes and mix well with the mixture and cook for at least 2-3 minutes when you will find out that oil is coming out and the mixture is dry.
- Add the fried egg plant pieces, sprinkle salt and mix well. Be careful not to break the eggplant pieces. Let it cook for a few minutes (3-4 minutes). Keep mixing properly so that the spices do not get stuck at the end of the pan.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- You can pour little bit of lemon juice before serving, this step however is optional.
ndian Fried Eggplant - Brinjal - SPICY STEVE
- Coconut Chutney
Easy coconut chutney which is simple, quick and healthy. To be used a side dish.
- Spicy and tasty Fish curry
Fish is one of the most favorite dish in the eastern India especially the West Bengal area. Not to mention it is also one of the favorite dish of my husband too and of those dishes which I do not enjoy cooking or eating much. However fish is...
- Khichdi- the comfort food
khichdi, the comfort food
- Quick Gram flour pancake (besan dosa)
Besan dosa or gram flor pancake easy and tasty recipe. Made in minutes
- Hot yogurt soup
I think that every yogurt lover should definitely try this recipe. In this spicy and sweet dish, yogurt is tempered with spices. Yogurt is usually consumed cold or in liquids. This dish however is very different from the usual yogurt recipes.This...
- Easy,delicious and healthy Halva recipes-nutrient an...
US is a home away from home. As much as we love celebrating our Indian festivals here, we get the same pleasure when we celebrate the festivals those in US…Come October and my house gets busy gearing itself for the upcoming fests…my husband...
- Sambhar Recipe
Sambhar is a famous South Indian dish. It is known as the most spiciest lentil soup. You can add any choice of vegetables in it and because of this factor, it is considered very healthy. Serves 2 Preparation time 15 - 20 minutes Cooking time 15...
- Illish maach bengali style ( milk fish recipe)
Easy illish maach in mustard gravy
- Veggie rice quinoa baby food recipe ( khichdi recipe...
A healthy and nutritious food for toddlers. Mixed with the goodness of quinoa, kale , sweet potato and rice. Rich source of protein, iron and omega 3.