- Food and Cooking
Coconut is said to be a versatile fruit. It has no cholesterol and is used in three ways - coconut milk, coconut and coconut oil. It helps you to lose weight and is known to reduce the risk of heart diseases. Coconuts are said to be rich in lauric acid which is very beneficial for us. Lauric acid is antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral. It is also saiid that it has the properties to boost up the immune syaytem.
Coconut is also known to prevent wrinkles and provides rejuvenation the skin. So beauty watchers, here is something for you! To know more about the nutritional benefits of coconut, please go through http://www.livestrong.com/coconut-nutrition-information/.
Given below is the super easy recipe of coconut chutney. It is healthy , tasty and very simple to make.
Preparation time 5 minutes
Cooking time 5 minutes
- 2 cups Grated coconut, you will get it in any Asian market
- 3-4 Green chili, depends how much hot you eat
- Salt, as per taste
- 1/2 cup water, I wanted a dry cocnout chutney so I added very less water.
- 1/2 tsp Ginger
- 2-3 Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1- 2 Dry red chili, depends how much hot you eat
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Oil
- Roast the chana daal in a pan.
- Take a blender and put green chili, coconut, ginger, salt, the roasted chana dal and the desired amount of water in it. Grind it till its a fine paste and keep aside.
- I wanted a dry chutney so I did not use water much.
- In a separate pan, heat oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add curry leaves, mustard seeds and the dry red chili.
- Once the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the coconut paste in it and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Let it cool for some time and then refrigerate the chutney.
- Serve cold. This chutney can be eaten with bread, dosa or chapatis.
Coconut nutrition chart
|Serving size: 2 cups ( 160 gms) of shredded coconut|
|Calories from Fat||234|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 26 g||40%|
|Saturated fat 23 g||115%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 4 g||1%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Try these too!
- lamb biryani
Easy spicy lamb biryani.
- spicy chicken fry
Easy spicy chicken fry Indian style cooked in a few minutes
- Chicken Frankie/ rolls (chicken kathi kababs)
This recipe is a very famous street food in Delhi (India). It is also known as Frankie or rolls in may region. The process is a bit long but it is an easy recipe. Instead of making chapatis, you can also use tortillas. This will save time.I use...
- Indian style fried eggplant
Fried eggplant is a famous side dish of West Bengal (India). There are many ways of cooking it. I only know 2 ways of cooking it and am sharing with you all. Method 1 Cooking time 5 - 10 minutes Serving 2 Ingredients Eggplant 2 medium...
- Onion pakora easy and quick snack
Ask any Indian and he will gladly accept that he loves eating pakore when it rains. I do not know the connection but somehow whenever it is raining, a majority of us want to have pakora. Pakora is a batter of chickpea powder mixed with various...
- Hot yogurt soup
I think that every yogurt lover should definitely try this recipe. In this spicy and sweet dish, yogurt is tempered with spices. Yogurt is usually consumed cold or in liquids. This dish however is very different from the usual yogurt recipes.This...
- Pao Bhaji- the healthy fast food
A healthy dish made of vegetables yet tasty! From a meat lover!
- Spicy puffed rice ( Jhaal Mudi )
Puffed rice is a famous east Indian recipe. It is known as jhal mudi in eastern India (basically the bengal region), Pori in south India and murmure in other pats of India. Basically it has a diffrenet name in every different region of India., It is.
- Steam cooked potatoes (Aaloo Dum)
This dish is a famous East Indian cuisine. It was taught to me by my maid when I was in India. This recipe is cooked almost in the same way as http://dipsmi.hubpages.com/hub/Spicy-potato-a-quick-snack. Ingredients Baby potatoes 1 lbs Ginger...
- Spicy potato a quick snack
This is one of the most easiest and quickest recipe i have ever made. You can also skip the step where oil is used. with winter approaching, soon I will be making recipes of these types (yes, I am lazy). To read about other tasty snacks , go through.
- Healthy and easy Potato tangy snack ( Aloo Tikki )
This recipe is also a famous street food in India like the puffed rice. To know the recipe of puffed rice, read http://dipsmi.hubpages.com/hub/Spicy-puffed-rice-Jhaal-Mudi. This dish is a famous North Indian street food. You can pair it up with...
- Potato curry with 5 seeds (Aaloo Panchforan)
When I first heard about this famous Indian recipe of East India (mainly Bihar) , I was curious to find how will it taste as it was prepared without the use of curry powder. The term Panchforan basically is a mixture of fennel seeds, mustard seeds,..
- different types of tasty and healthy rice recipes
Learn how to cook rice in different ways,easy and tasty recipes not to forget the nutritional value.
- Sambhar Recipe
Sambhar is a famous South Indian dish. It is known as the most spiciest lentil soup. You can add any choice of vegetables in it and because of this factor, it is considered very healthy. Serves 2 Preparation time 15 - 20 minutes Cooking time 15...