Mussels with mustard seeds and shallots Recipe
Mussels with mustard seeds and shallots:
Mussels can be found all over the world . They can be sea water or fresh water mussels. Despite mussels are found in abundance all over the world yet not many people eat them. They are not only delicious to eat but also healthy. Before cooking mussels we must keep few things in mind.
1. They should be cleaned and rinsed many a times before cooking.
2. They should be thoroughly scrubbed with a brush to remove their dirt, barnacles and their hair like bread on them.
3. If they are sea water mussels then you should rinse them several times but do not keep them in fresh water for long or fresh water would kill them.
4. We should usually rinse them under running tap water
Mussels With Shallot Seeds
1. Mussels: 2 kg / 4 and a half pounds of live mussels, scrubbed and debeadred.
2. Vegetable oil / ground nut oil : 3 Tsp
3. Black mustard seeds : ½ Tsp
4. Shallots: 8 chopped.
5. Garlic cloves : 2 crushed
6. Vinegar : 2 Tsp
7. Red chilies: 4
8. Creamed coconut: 85 grams / 3 oz dissolved in 300 ml / 10 fl oz of hot water.
9. Curry leaves: preferably fresh 10 and if fresh are not available then use 1Tsp of dried curry leaves.
10. Ground Turmeric: ½ Tsp
11. Red chili powder : ½ Tsp
12. Salt to taste.
1. Check all mussels carefully and if there is any with broken shell discard it.
2. Then check all mussels again and if any don’t close on tapping with knife, discard that too.
3. Take a frying pan and heat oil in it on medium flame.
4. Now add mustard seeds in the oil and stir them till they start to pop up. It should roughly take one minute.
5. Now to this add shallots and garlic and while stirring continuously cook for another 3 minutes.
6. Mixture would give a brownish look now.
7. Now add dissolved creamed coconut in water to this mixture.
8. Add vinegar, chili powder, whole chilies in this.
9. Stir the mixture.
10. Now add turmeric powder, curry leaves and pinch of salt to mixture and stir well.
11. Bring this to boil stirring occasionally.
12. Now reduce heat to low.
13. Now add the mussels and cover the pan.
14. Leave it on low heat; shake the pan time and again so mussels may mingle in the spice mixture perfectly.
15. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or till mussels open.
16. Discard those mussels which remain close.
17. Now transfer the dish in to a deep bowl.
18. Take a sip from the broth to check for salt.
19. Add salt if needed.
20. Now spoon over the mussels and serve.
More Hubs from Me
- Mushroom Bhajji
My personal favourite in vegetables is mushroom. Mushrooms are not only easy to digest but are very healthy. Here I am going to put one easy recipe of mushroom. Mushroom is easy to get and it got nice colour and texture and makes a very appealing dis
- Chicken Do Piaza
Chicken Do Piaza goes back to Mughal era of India. How did this dish got his name no one knows but it is thought that Mulla Do Piaza ( a minister in court of Great emperor Akbar) invented it but this looks like a myth because Mulla Do piaza was not a
- Chicken Korma
Chicken Korma is a very tasty dish from South of India and since it is from South India so it is full of calories. If you are not watching your weight then you should try this dish. Very tasty and this dish is little dry in consistency as compared to
- Prawns In Coconut Milk
Sea food is though not something we guys from New Delhi are used to but this is very popular in western coastal regions of India especially in state of Maharashtra. Being coastal area Prawn and coconut are in abundant supply there. One of very tasty
- Fish Tikka
Fish tikka is one of the authentic Indian cooking. This dish is definitely Punjabi and since there is no sea near Punjab so only fresh water fish is used in this dish. Fish Tikka is famous now in all over India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and in parts of wo
- Prawn and Pineapple Tikka
Prawn and Pineapple Tikka is one of very tasty dish. Pineapple gives this dish a definitely tangy taste while prawns are hot and spicy. This dish is not only healthy as it not only has prawns but also combine meat with fruit, but is also very yummy a
- Bombay Potaoes
This is a very simple potato recipe. It is used all over India and is basically a side dish but can be used as main dish too. It is very easy to make and makes any food very tasty. People carry this dish during travelling and eat it with puri and man
- Kashmiri Chicken
Kashmir is the Northern Most part of India. It is one of the most beautiful place on earth. One poet said about Kashmir that if there is paradise on earth then it is here in Kashmir. Because of rich culture and history of Kashmir, it has developed it
- Lime Pickle
Lime pickle:Lime pickle is one of the very popular pickle in India. It comes next only to mango pickle in popularity. Personally I like lime pickle more than mango pickle. The specialty of Indian pickle is that they don’t spoil and can be used even m