- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Stew Recipes
Old-Time Beef Stew
About Beef Stew
I grew up with this stew. Both my grandmother and mother made this on weekends, and anytime the pastor was coming over for dinner. My grandmother even told me story's of her mother making this. This stew was my favorite meal as a child. The smell of it cooking would fell the house and know one could wait for it to be done. Just think about it still makes my mouth water. My mother would sever hers with homemade yeast rolls. While my grand mother would choose a sweet corn bread. The cornbread was always what I wanted, and recommend serving it some with your stew.
This is the same recipe that they made and that I now make for my family. You can add pearl onions, green beans, or corn to it if you want, but enjoy my just basic sometime I will even leave out the peas
- 2 Lbs beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 Tbsp lard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3-4 potatoes, peeled, and cubed
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 c Peas
- 5c water
- 1/4 c Flour
- Brown Meat in lard, until it is brown on all sides
- Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, pepper, paprika, and clove. Cover and simmer for 2 hours
- Remove bay leaves. Add carrots, potatoes, peas and celery. Cover and cook for another hour
- Mix flour with 1/2 cup water to make a smooth paste. mix into stew and cook until it is a bit thicker.
This Is A More Modern Recipe If You Want Something Newer
Some Cookbooks You Might Like
Some Recipes You Might Like
- How To Make Easy Homemade Apple Pie
This apple pie is a super quick and easy way to impress friends and family and make them think you have been baking away in the kitchen all day.
- Peach Butter
A yummy and easy recipe for old fashion peach butter, and is grate way to use up your peaches, and keep them for a long time.
- Country Fried Ham with Red-Eye Gravy Recipe
This true southern classic is made from fried ham, with a rich gravy off pan drippings and coffee. It is normally severed with biscuits or grits.
- Classic Margherita Pizza
A easy Margherita Pizza with a video on how to make Margherita Pizza homemade.