- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Sassy Pickled Onions
These onions will NOT need to be chopped every time you need them and they save in the fridge for a month!
Pickled onions are a great addition to salads, sandwiches, sauces, dressings, and relish trays. They are very easy to make and yet expensive to purchase!
Onions are harvested in southwestern New Mexico this time of year. There are huge semi truck loads on the freeways daily. So, this is a good time to think about using onions. One way to use the fall onion harvest is this old country dish.
Many countries rely on the pungent with a hint of sweet onion to add some zest to their foods. Here is a way to NOT have to chop an onion every time you make a salad or a sandwich. What could be nicer?
- 1-2 onions (medium= 2, large = 1), quartered then sliced
- 1/4 C. Water
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 C. white vinegar
- 1-2 T. salt, less for refined salt
- 1/8 t. chili/red pepper flakes
- 1/8 t. garlic powder
- 1/4 t. salad seasonings
- Use a clean ball canning jar and pour bowling water to fill jar and on the jar lid and seal. Since this will be saved in fridge you will not need a new lid and seal (like you would in long term canning)
- Peel and quarter the onions and then slice the quarters. Pack the onions down in the jar. Use a skewer to help pack the onions down
- Cover onions with boiling water. Let stand for about 5 minutes and pour out the water.
- Mix the ingredients above. Pour over the onions. Use the skewer to break up any air pockets. Seal with the lid and rotate the jar a few times.
- Store on the counter at room temperature for one day. Place in fridge for three days. They are ready to use after three days.
You may also like these recipes....
- Marinated Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Marinated Brussels Sprouts recipe for taste and good health. High in anti-cancer properties, vitamins, and low in calories.
- Kale 101 Basic Kale Cookery
Kale a tasty, healthy, and under appreciated vegetable. How to prep. basics.
- Parsnips Potatoes and Ginger Recipe Side Dish
Ginger Parsnips and Potato Recipe. A great family pleasing side dish. Use left-overs in soups and stews!