- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Stir fried Okra Recipe.
Lady Finger with onions
Okra is also known as lady finger because its shape resembles the finger. Okra is a lacy vegetable and if you cut it there would some
Stickyliquid would be felt. It is a green vegetable so it is very healthy. It is good in taste and full of fiber. Lady finger is a very common
Vegetable eaten in this part of the world. Its plant can go up to 5 ft in height and a single plant can give lots of lady fingers. Usually people
in India have this vegetable with roti or rice.
1. Okra / Lady Finger: 300 grams / 10 Oz.
2. Olive oil / Sunflower oil: 2 Tbsp.
3. Onion: 1 normal size.
4. Red bell pepper / red capsicum: 1 small.
5. Black mustard seeds: 2 Tsp.
6. Cumin Seeds: ½ Tsp.
7. Garlic cloves: 3 large.
8. Red Chili Powder: 1 Tsp.
9. Garam Masala: ½ Tsp
10. Salt to taste.
11. Roti to serve with
1. Scrub each okra lightly with a peeler.
2. Rinse well under the cold running water.
3. Cut the hard head of every okra.
4. Halve diagonally and set aide.
5. Now take the red bell pepper and remove seeds and core.
6. Cut in to 1 inch strips.
7. Half the onion length wise and then cut in to ¼ inch thick slices.
8. Crush the garlic cloves slightly and then finely chop them.
9. Take a heavy base frying pan.
10. Add oil.
11. Put it over medium heat.
12. Now when the pan gets hot but just before it gets smoking hot add mustard seeds.
13. Now add cumin seeds.
14. Now remove the pan from heat and add finely chopped garlic.
15. Now reduce heat to low and put pan on it.
16. Cook garlic gently till it turns light brown. Usually takes 1 minute or so.
17. Now add Okra / lady finger with onion and red bell pepper.
18. Increase heat to medium and stir fry for couple of minutes.
19. Add red chili powder and salt and stir fry for another 3 minutes.
20. Add garam masala and stir fry for another minute.
21. Remove from heat.
22. Serve with roti or basmati rice.
1. If red bell pepper is not available use yellow or green.
2. Always use heavy base pan or okra would stick to bottom of pan.
3. Instead of 1 inch you can have longer strips of bell peeper to 1.5 inch.
4. Garlic should be added only when pan is hot but not on heat.
Do you like Okra/ lady finger?
More cooking hubs by me
- Bombay Potaoes
This is a very simple potato recipe. It is used all over India and is basically a side dish but can be used as main dish too. It is very easy to make and makes any food very tasty. People carry this dish during travelling and eat it with puri and man
- Mushroom Bhajji
My personal favourite in vegetables is mushroom. Mushrooms are not only easy to digest but are very healthy. Here I am going to put one easy recipe of mushroom. Mushroom is easy to get and it got nice colour and texture and makes a very appealing dis
- Dry Chana Dal
Dal or lentils are one of the staple ingredient of Indian food. Dals are easy to cook, easy to digest and full of proteins. There are many kind of dals or lentils available in markets. Chana dal is one of the most common and liked dal. Chana dal can
- Kashmiri Chicken
Kashmir is the Northern Most part of India. It is one of the most beautiful place on earth. One poet said about Kashmir that if there is paradise on earth then it is here in Kashmir. Because of rich culture and history of Kashmir, it has developed it