- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Dry Chana Dal Recipe.
Dry Chana Dal
Dal or lentils are one of the staple ingredient of Indian food. Dals are easy to cook, easy to digest and full of proteins. There are many kind of dals or lentils available in markets. Chana dal is one of the most common and liked dal. Chana dal can be cooked dry as well as with gravy. Chana dal can be eaten with rice, roti or naan. It is yellow in colour and highly notorious. Being full of proteins, it is high on fiber content and has very low calories. Dal are also eaten by people who are looking to lose weight as they not only fill the tummy but also give high energy and very less calories. It has got no fat, no cholesterol and hardly any carbohydrates. It is very easy to cook and dry chana dal looks pleasing to eye too if served right.
1. Chana dal / Split yellow lentil: 250 grams/ 9 Oz.
2. Coconut: 30 grams / 1 oz grated.
3. Water: 1.2 liter / 40 fl.oz
4. Bay leaves: 2 torn in to pieces.
5. Onion: 1 finely chopped.
6. Ginger: 2.5 cm or 1 inch piece fresh, chopped.
7. Fresh green chilies: 3 slit lengthwise but left whole.
8. Fresh green chili: 1 deseeded and chopped.
9. Heeng (Asafetida): ½ Tsp.
10. Ground Turmeric: ½ Tsp
11. Vegetable or ground nut oil: 3 Tbsp.
12. Tamarind paste: 1½ Tbsp.
13. Sugar: 1½ Tbsp.
14. Garam masala: ½ Tsp.
15. Ground Cumin: ¼ Tsp.
16. Ground Coriander / cilantro: ¼ Tsp.
17. Salt to taste.
1. Ghee: 15 grams melted.
2. Garam Masala: 1 Tsp.
Fresh coriander / cilantro: Chopped
Does this dish looks tasty and easy to make?
1. In a vessel soak lentils in water for 15 minutes and drain it.
2. Now take these lentils in a large saucepan and add to it 1.2 liter of water.
3. Cover the pan and put on high heat.
4. Bring to boil.
5. If foam comes to surface then skim it.
6. When foam stops rising stir in bay leaves. Asafetida & turmeric.
7. Now leaving a space to let hot air pass out, half cover the pan with lid and simmer for about 45 minutes.
8. Make sure that lentil is not over cooked and cook till all water evaporates or is absorbed.
9. Now in a separate frying pan heat oil over medium heat.
10. Add onion and ginger and fry for 7 to 8 minutes stirring frequently.
11. Now add coconut, sugar, tamarind paste, chopped green chili, ground coriander, and cumin and garam masala.
12. Stir for about 1 minute.
13. Now to this mixture add cooked lentil along with any water if left.
14. Stir it well so mixture and lentils mix well.
15. Add salt.
16. Taste it and if required add more salt, sugar and tamarind.
17. Now transfer this dish in to a serving dish and dazzle the hot ghee over it.
18. Sprinkle Garam Masala over it.
19. Garnish with chopped coriander.
20. Serve hot with roti or naan.
1. Be sure to soak lentils for 15 to 30 minutes.
2. Though Desi ghee is preferred but if not available then vegetable oil can be used.
3. Even though dal don’t have any cholesterol but ghee is rich source of cholesterol , so the person with heart disease or high cholesterol levels should avoid garnishing with ghee.
More Recipes From Me
- Chicken Egg Fried Rice
This recipe is for both kids and adults. It is very tasty dish, easy to cook and is liked by both children and adults. This recipe contains egg, chicken and rice which are all liked by everyone including children. This dish is especially for those mo
- Asian Whole Chicken Soup Recipes
This is another wonderful chicken soup. Tasty to eat. easy to make, pleasing to serve,healthy and light on stomach. Kids love it. Try it out.
- Louisiana Chicken
This chicken recipe as name suggest was first invented in state of Louisiana in United States of America. So this one is one of the very few dishes which can be called truly American dish. It is tastier than KFC original recipe (my opinion). Again it
- Chicken Mushroom soup
Mushrooms are my favorite. You can literally add them to any dish or soup. Mushrooms are easily available all over the world. They are cheap and healthy and easy to digest and lend great taste to the dish. Mushrooms should be washed thoroughly before