- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Sun Dried Tomato Croquette Recipe - Domo-Kun Style!
Yummy and Cute!
Yesterday I was surfing the web with StumbleUpon and I came across this great website called Anna the Red, it's full of wonderful recipes and tips on how to create adorable bento boxes. Needless to say I was awe struck. I looked through every recipe and realized sadly that most of the things on the website, I was not able to make without a trip to the local Asian market. However, she had a great recipe for little domo-kun croquettes. Her croquette recipe had meat and onions in it (a standard recipe). I'm not a huge meat person honestly (although I'm not a vegetarian), so I decided to tweak the croquette recipe with a few flavors I love, and it turned out to be probably one of the greatest dishes I've ever done. The little faces were also an idea I found from Anna the Red, but I tweaked them slightly to adjust for my tastes and supplies at hand. When I first decided to make it I was a little apprehensive of mixing sun dried tomatoes and mashed potatoes (the words rhyme, so the ingredients should go together, right?), but it was actually pretty incredible! This recipe can be done as a side dish or as a meal all on its own.
- 2 russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons mild cheddar, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 sundried tomato slices
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green onion
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- canola oil, for frying
- mozzarella cheese, (for the domo-kun face)
- tomato, (for the domo-kun face)
- whole peppercorns, (for the domo-kun face)
- Wash the potatoes and slice the skin all the way around length wise and width wise. Boil the potatoes (it should take about 20-30 minutes). While still hot, peel the skin from the potatoes and put the peeled potatoes in a bowl to mash.
- Mash the potatoes well. Combine the sour cream, 2 tablespoons of butter, milk, cheddar cheese, and a dash of salt and pepper to the potatoes. Mix until you have creamy mashed potatoes.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the tomatoes, green onions, garlic, sugar, and a dash of salt and pepper. Saute until onions and garlic are cooked through.
- Add the sun dried tomato mixture to the potatoes and mix thoroughly. Get a sheet pan and spread the potatoes on the pan flat. Cut the potatoes into rectangles. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Make sure the potatoes are cold enough or else they will fall apart. Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees. Take your potato rectangles, dredge them in flour, then dredge them in the two eggs (beaten), then roll them in panko breadcrumbs.
- Fry the croquettes until they are golden brown. Only fry 1 to 2 at a time.
- Cut the mozzarella cheese (or any other white cheese you prefer) into teeth zig zags and cut of squares of fresh tomato skins. Arrange the mouth as seen on the croquettes. Add whole peppercorns for eyes (unless you have dried seaweed to cut circles out of). Enjoy your kawaii, little monsters!