Vegan "Tuna" Sandwich
Vegan "Tuna" Salad Sandwich
There are many ways to recreate some favorite non-vegan meals so that they're suitable for a vegan lifestyle. Luckily, thanks to a favorite ingredient of vegans, tuna is no exception!
Garbanzo beans are used in this recipe to create a sandwich similar in flavor to a tuna sandwich. As a bonus, garbanzo beans are packed with iron. That is good news for anyone who has trouble consuming enough iron in their diet.
To reduce carbs, forget the bread and use this recipe to make a tuna salad. Simply scoop it over a bed of lettuce and add whatever fresh veggies you have on hand. Another option is to scoop this into a wrap or eat it with crackers or simply by the spoonful on its own!
- 1 16 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- pinch ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Thoroughly mash the garbanzo beans using a potato masher or fork.
- Combine the beans with all other ingredients, mixing well.
- Spread onto bread or eat over lettuce.
|Serving size: 1/4 of recipe|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 33 g||11%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 605 mg||25%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- If you don't have onions on hand, try dried onion flakes or onion powder
- Try this as a healthy pita or wrap or eat as a snack with crackers
- For a lower calorie and lower carb meal, serve over lettuce or as the main star in a salad
- Another way to reduce calories is omitting the vegan mayo and increasing the mustard
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 Audrey