- Food and Cooking
Yummy Semiya Payasam ; Dessert recipe of south India
Vermicelli Semiya Payasam
Semiya Payasam is one of the easiest dessert, that can be made. For keralites, it creates a nolstagic feeling, while seeing Semiya Payasam. Semiya Payasam is an inevitable item in most of the treats conducted at home, it is prepared during festivals and special occasions.
During marriages, Semiya Payasam does hold an important position after the main meals. Semiya Payasam is liked by every one, right from kids to the oldest member of the family. Semiya payasam, is sometimes prepared as offering to temple by Hindus.
During Kerala Sadhya - traditional meals served in banana leaf, Payasam is a must. Mostly Semiya or Rice payasam is served along with boli, a sweet yellow colored sweet. The combination of boli and semiya is so yummy. You should try it out and you will love it.
- 100gm Vermicelli Semiya, Roasted
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 50gm Sago /Chowary, already cooked using pressure cooker
- 1.5 litre milk
- 50gm or for taste Sugar
- handful cashew nuts
- handful raisins
- 1/4 tsp cardomom powder or Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 cup condensed Milk
- as needed to cook Water
How to make Semiya Payasam
- Cook- Sago /Chowary and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat Ghee and roast the raisins and cashew nuts and keep it aside
- In the same ghee, Roast the Semiya and when it turns brown, add water and allow the same to boil and let it cook.
- Once the same is cooked, add cooked Sago/Chowary, milk and sugar and allow the same to get boiled.
- Once it gets boiled, add condensed milk to make it thick and also to taste sweeter. Just mix the same and off the flame.
- Now add Vanilla Essence or Cardomom powder as per your taste and decorate it with Cashew nuts and raisins.
- Serve Hot ..
My other recipes
- Kumbilappam Recipe : authentic dish of kerala made w...
Kumbilappam is one of the oldest sweet dish receipe of kerala. Our grandmas used to make the same using chakka (jackfruit) during the festival seasons or at times of special days. Since made from chakka , it is also called chakka appam. During the se
- Chocolate cake with frosting : Cake recipe
Chocolate cake with frosting is the experimentation that I done for this year's Xmas cake fest at office. I started with the simple recipe of black forest and later gave it a chocolate frosting and then experimented with icing ;) I'm sure that you wi
- Yummy Marble Cake - Recipe from scratch
This is one of my favorite marble cake recipe. This is what I usually make during Christmas season. It's too tasty and my friends love tasting it.