- Food and Cooking
Kumbilappam Recipe : authentic dish of kerala made with jackfruit (Chakka)
Rate my Kumbilappam recipe
Kumbilappam or the chakka appam made of jackfruit
Kumbilappam is one of the oldest sweet dish receipe of kerala. Our grandmas used to make the same using chakka (jackfruit) during the festival seasons or at times of special days. Since made from chakka , it is also called chakka appam. During the season, we see a varierty of dishes made with chakka.
Again coming back to kumbilappam, it is made as offerings to the God and is presented in the Hindu Temples. Mostly during the ponkala at Attukal, it is made and has a different name Therali appam It can be made with banana for substitution to jackfruit.
The kumbil in the Kumbilappam or the mould is made of Vayana leaf , belonging to the family of bay leaf and it is otherwise called Therali and hence the other name Therali appam.
Preparation timing approximately
Ingredients for making kumbilappam
- One cup Juicy Jackfruit bulbs seedless, mix it in a mixer grinder to get the pulp
- 3/4 cup Jaggery, crushed and boiled in a 1/4 glass water and then filter it to remove the impurities
- one cup Rice Powder, appam or idiyappam podi is ideal
- pinch salt
- 3 or 4 cardamom
Preparation steps of kumbilappamClick thumbnail to view full-size
Making of Kumbilappam
- One cup of juicy jackfruit bulbs, with seeds removed.then make the pulp out of jackfruit bulbs using a mixer grinder.
- Crush the jaggery and add some water and boil the same till the jaggery gets disolved
- add 3 or 4 cardamom after tearing the same into the jaggerry while boiling
- mix rice powder with jackfruit pulp
- add coconut scrambling and jaggery water (filtered to remove the waste like stone etc)
- mix the mixture to make the dough, soft enough;
- clean the bay leafs (Vayana ila)
- using the coconut sticks create the mould (kumbil) to make the kumbilappam
- add one teaspoon dough into the mould
- close the same using remaining part of the leaf
- Steam the same in a steamer for 40 minutes, make sure that you pour enough amount of water in the steamer
- Now the kumbilappam is ready. remove the leaf before serving..
- How to make Puttu : Kerala Breakfast Recipe
Puttu is one of the favorite recipes of Kerala. It is the favorite breakfast for us. Puttu is an easy made food and doesn’t require much work to be done. The usual combination is Puttu and Kadala (Brown Chickpea) Curry or Puttu, Payar (green gram cur
- How to make Palappam - traditional breakfast of Kera...
Palappam is the traditional breakfast of Kerala. It is one of the important dishes during the functions of traditional Suriyani Christians. It is made of ‘Pachari’ white rice. It is sometimes known as vellayappam. It is usually served along with coco
- Kerala Style Mango Pickle (Manga Achar) : Pickle Rec...
Kerala Mango Pickle or Manga Achar is one of the favorite and common pickle, mostly used daily in kerala. Mango Pickle is easier to prepare . It is so tastier, that we could try it with any food items
- Kerala Style Meat Cutlet recipe
Nowadays, Kerala people are more attracted to fried items and most of us prefer these, during our evening tea time. Cutlet is one among the favorite choices during evening time. In Christian wedding and Betrothal, cutlet is an inevitable presence. Ac
- How to make Kerala style Lemon Pickle ( Naranga Acha...
Lemon Pickle is one of the most favorite pickles of south India. Lemon Pickle is easy to make and can be kept for years. Lemon pickle is at its best, as it becomes old. Pickling is an ancient food- preservation technique. In Kerala, we name it as “Na
- Unniyappam : Kerala's popular snack recipe
Unniyappam is the popular snack of kerala. Unniyappam is a fluffy snack made out of rice, banana, jaggery, coconut bites and ghee. You may need Unniyappa chatti (vessel) to prepare the unniyappam.
- Yummy Marble Cake - Recipe from scratch
This is one of my favorite marble cake recipe. This is what I usually make during Christmas season. It's too tasty and my friends love tasting it.
- Chocolate cake recipe with frosting
Chocolate cake with frosting is the experimentation , I started with the simple recipe of black forest and later gave it a chocolate frosting and then experimented with icing ;)
- Homemade Grape Wine Recipe from Kerala
Wine is a symbol of celebration. At home, making wine, acknowledges us with the coming of Christmas. Grape wine is our specialty and my father is expert in making the same. Our wine is famous among our neighbors, relatives and friends. we don't add a
- Snake Gourd in Chilli Style Recipe : Padavalanga in ...
Let me share a new recipe using snake gourd. Snake gourd is otherwise known as padavalanga in Malayalam. This is an experimented dish made out of snake gourd, the recipe seen in a magazine, my version