jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Have you ever eaten a meal and then discovered what you ate is not what you thou

1. mejane profile image53
    mejaneposted 8 years ago

Have you ever eaten a meal and then discovered what you ate is not what you thought it was? (e.g., my mother once served us rabbit and told us kids it was chicken)

2. Hilly Chism profile image73
    Hilly Chismposted 8 years ago

As a vegetarian I often discover that chicken stock has been added to so-called vegetarian soups and sauces especially in Italian restaurants.

3. lrohner profile image81
    lrohnerposted 8 years ago

My kids would have a field day with this question. I served them all kinds of foods when they were growing up, and each time I just told them it was chicken! As teens, they freaked out and stopped eating Caesar salad when they discovered there were anchovies in the dressing!

4. BeatsMe profile image66
    BeatsMeposted 8 years ago

You're lucky you've only eaten a rabbit. I've eaten a frog.

5. joyforever profile image54
    joyforeverposted 8 years ago

Yes, I have! My mother has passed off rabbit and tortoise meat as chicken, when I was a kid. Apart from the childhood experience, I ate baby octopus in Bangkok and only realised what it was when I asked the waiter why the fish was so chewy..LOL

6. Clelia profile image54
    Cleliaposted 8 years ago

Where I live, in Sardinia, we usually eat the testicles of fried pork. I really disgust. However once I have brought a dish with these fried slices, saying that it was rabbit meat. Just after lunch I was informed that what I had eaten the testicles of a pig ... Bleah!

7. Leenie Pooh profile image60
    Leenie Poohposted 8 years ago

My mom did the same thing to me when we were kids. I was pretty much a vegetarian at the time but would occasionally eat chicken. My dad brought a deer home from a hunting trip and she served it in a stew and told me it was chicken. I was NOT happy when I found out, but I forgave her.

working