What are some fruits/veggies that can be successfully grown indoors, and how do

1. Glenda Grosjean profile image70
    Glenda Grosjeanposted 8 years ago

What are some fruits/veggies that can be successfully grown indoors, and how do you go about it?

I live in Detroit, and only have a small plot of land in which to plant.  I use it for growing tomatos, but would like to be able to grow additional food.  I have plenty of large windows with good sun exposure.

2. dotnik profile image61
    dotnikposted 8 years ago

I grew a fig tree in a pot in Wheaton, IL for many years. In the summer I put it outside, then in fall brought it inside. It went into a short decline and then it bore figs. I had it under a fluorescent light so I don't know how well it will do without it. Good luck! Dotnik

3. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Most often fruits and vegetables will need the space of something like a greenhouse to be able to grow them indoors.  For food production, you are going to need many square feet of space and more soil depth than you can get with potted plants. 

If all you have is sunny windows, you should be able to do well with a variety of herbs, micro-greens (baby lettuce shoots) and potted strawberries.  If you really have space, you might even be able to do a potted dwarf fruit tree.

You'll have to do research for what will work in a container and what matches the type of light and temperatures you have in your home.

working