What's good vegetarian camping food?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)
  1. ThompsonPen profile image66
    ThompsonPenposted 11 years ago

What's good vegetarian camping food?

What's some good food to bring with you that's vegetarian and not veggie burgers or hot dogs?

2. Shea ONeal profile image54
    Shea ONealposted 11 years ago

Recently, I have become a vegetarian in a effort to turn my very poor precancerous health around. I have been following a modified version of the Gerson diet. I juice greens, apples, and carrots 3 times a day. I eat oatmeal for breakfast. Lunch and dinner usually consist of grilled veggies. So when my parents asked me to join them on a 10 day camping trip I began scrambling to figure out how I would be able to maintain my very strict, very specialized diet. I am happy to say that I was able to keep my diet while enjoying our camping trip. Listed below are some helpful hints. 1. Buy a good cooler that you can carry for day trips. 2. Juice or wash and cut your veggies before you go camping. (Note: Some veggies cannot be cut in advance but most can this will save you lots of time and clean up)You will need a 2nd cooler to keep them in. Most will last about 3-5 days. You will lose some of the nutritional value in the juices but not all. Keep them iced until you are ready to drink or cook them. 3. I ate a lot of nuts, power bars, raw fruits, raw veggies, and canned beans. V-8 juices are good as well. There are some preprocessed foods that you can eat on a vegetarian diet that prove very helpful when camping. I also used organic baby food pouches in place of juicing when we did some hiking. They don't need to be refriderated and they provide good nutrition. Two of them paired with nuts and a power bar filled me up for lunch on day trips.  4. Don't forget veggie wraps. You can roast veggies over an open flame on shish K bobs and put them in a veggie wrap for a wonderful meal. 5. If you have electrical hook ups (even in a tent) buy a small dorm size fridge to keep fruits and veggies in to lengthen their life span. 6. Water is a must. I was able to keep unchilled water at the campsite at all times. I figured out that it worked best to plan the next days meals for our hiking and day trips the night before. I included chilling water in the small cooler with my juice and raw fruits or veggies. If I had left over cooked veggies I put them in zip lock bags in a back pack the in the mornings before we left for the day. There are many ways you can do this. A lot depends on the kind of camping you will be doing. I have also taken my juicer along for fresh juicing but I found that clean up is difficult. However, it can be done so long as you have a good water source and a clothes line to hang washrags on. My best suggestion is know your invornment and adjust accordingly.

3. JoeYoung22 profile image83
    JoeYoung22posted 11 years ago

Assuming you mean campsite camping, where you have access to shops, I would go for pasta and rice dishes. Spaghetti in a simple tomato, garlic and chilli sauce can be done on the single hob of a camping stove (cook the pasta, put to one side, and then make the sauce in the same pan). It's not haute cuisine, but it's tasty and filling. I've also done mac and cheese outdoors, and it was fine. Any sauce that has to simmer, curry, chilli etc, is perfectly suited to camp stove cooking.

As long as you have sufficient gas, there's no limit to what you can cook. Egg and stir fry dishes work well, and I once made risotto outside my tent. Boil the kettle to make stock then add oil to a saucepan. Sautee garlic, onion and mushrooms. Add arborio rice and stir. Pour in a good glug of wine and allow to reduce. Add stock gradually, and stir until it is creamy and the rice cooked. Stir in a handful of vegetarian parmesan style cheese and let it rest a few minutes. Serve with more cheese and the rest of the wine. Simple and delicious.

The only dishes I would steer clear from are those that require dried beans. These need soaking and then boiling for ages, so are not suited to campsite cooking.

If you mean rucksack camping, where everything must be carried, then it's dreid noodles all the way.

1. ThompsonPen profile image66
      ThompsonPenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

These are awesome suggestions, but aye, we're after rucksack camping. Thanks for your input! smile

4. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

But veggie dogs can be fun! We went camping one year and had the veggie dogs for the kids to roast stored in the cooler. In the middle of the night we hear what sounds like a huge animal knocking around our camp site. We are all scared and we look out the little tent window and there is a raccoon the size of a dog going through our cooler! Smart buggers they are, he figured out how to open the lid and go through it.  He gets to a veggie dog takes a bite, throws it down and walks away lol. So pack the veggie dogs to protect the good stuff like fresh fruit (peaches are amazing right out of the cooler) granola, tofu jerky (make it yourself in a dehydrator) veggie chips, cut up veggies with dressing, etc.

5. craftybegonia profile image61
    craftybegoniaposted 11 years ago

You can bake sweet potatoes and have them with those veggie dogs.

6. M. T. Dremer profile image83
    M. T. Dremerposted 10 years ago

Corn on the cob for sure as well as potatoes. If you assemble vegetable cabobs before hand, you can wrap them in foil and cook them over a fire. Beans and vegetable soups can be made on camper stoves and fire pots. And some variation of gorp would work for snacks. I have no idea what could replace smores though. I'm still working on that one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)