jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What is the best substitute for salt in cooking?

1. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image91
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 7 years ago

What is the best substitute for salt in cooking?

2. Emissionguy profile image83
    Emissionguyposted 7 years ago

I prefer garlic or onion powder. We stopped using salt many years ago. I found a product called Mrs. Dash Table Blend that we use as a table spice, works fantastic. Great on popcorn also.

3. SteveoMc profile image74
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

We also stopped adding salt to any cooking a long time ago and it take some creative ways to substitute and get flavor.    Emissionguy is right about Mrs. Dash, it is also available in a lot of different varieties, I too like the Table Blend, also I love the one called Southwest Chipolte.    It has a little heat but it is so good.
    Also, looking at hot sauces is a good way.  A few drops of a hot sauce always perks the dish up, and if you use it sparingly, it does not create heat.  There are a lot of them my favorites are green mild, Cock Sauce, and Chipolte.  These all have a great flavor and you will love them.  All very low in calories and sodium.

4. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

Tamari or soy are both salty and both add flavor in cooking.  I like to add tamari to soups because it adds more flavor than salt alone.

5. angel115707 profile image60
    angel115707posted 7 years ago

Now I wouldn't say to cook this in every thing, but acidic flavors are actually salt replacements... example lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, you can still use a little salt but add lemon juice to fresh steamed broccoli , the more the better lol and If I want to add flavor to something, like a pasta salad or cabbage, adding vinegar makes it tastier w/o loading it down with salt.

6. mrsmillich profile image61
    mrsmillichposted 7 years ago

I just started using kosher salt in place of regular salt.  I don't have to use nearly as much to get a better flavor.

7. profile image0
    Derdriuposted 7 years ago

Mrs. Dash is a great substitute for salt in cooking. As Emissionguy already pointed out, it is wonderful on popcorn.