jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

I think salt brings out the flavor of things. Does anyone know what else I could

1. suzzycue profile image93
    suzzycueposted 5 years ago

I think salt brings out the flavor of things. Does anyone know what else I could use?

I use herbs instead of salt in cooking but I still miss salt. I even use salt on my grapefruit instead of sugar ,it is way better. I am a salt addict. Some people eat sugar for a treat...  I eat salt. I am saying I would eat  a bag of chips instead of lemon pie. Can people acutally change their cravings for salt?

2. innerspin profile image93
    innerspinposted 5 years ago

I'm trying to wean off salt, a pinch of chilli powder can help in some meals.

3. MamaTschet profile image78
    MamaTschetposted 5 years ago

Suzzycue, I think the more salt you eat the more you will crave it.  That being said, try to wean yourself off of it slowly, or buy low sodium options.  My son uses Franks Hot Sauce on everything and I know it has a fair amount of sodium, but not as much as if I let him go crazy with the salt shaker!  My husband is a different story, he salts EVERYTHING before he tastes it and that is a sore subject with me!

4. Goody5 profile image73
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

How about good old Lemon salt for seasoning?

5. Mom Kat profile image81
    Mom Katposted 5 years ago

I agree, salt does bring out the flavor of things ~ it's yummy!

When you crave salt what your body is actually telling you is that you need more water.  Salt works to save and store your water supply in some crazy scientific way... all I know is that craving salt = you need more water.
    By giving your body what it actually wants rather than the "code craving" the craving will (should) go away, or at least become manageable.

Onto alternatives:
    Mrs. Dash is fantastic for adding to dishes & meals.  LOVE IT.  totally salt free & adds wonderful flavor.

NoSalt - very expensive - is actually potassium chloride. Word of caution though, it doesn't taste like salt if you lick it off your finger.  Only when you mix it into food.  Plus you use a lot less because it has a very strong flavor.

Garlic or Onion powder are great added seasonings which can give a "salty" type kick to your main dishes. 

Anyway, hope this helps.

6. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 5 years ago

I rarely use salt at all now, but I love fresh ground black pepper.  You can try sea salt.  Herbs and some spices are really great too, with a little extra virgin olive oil.

7. samsymmonds profile image60
    samsymmondsposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure if you get this in America, but Herbamare is absolutely great. It is a vegetable-based salt, and once you've tasted it, you'll rue the mundane flavour of ordinary salt. It has a lower sodium content than table salt too!

suzzycueposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I never heard of herbamare at all. I am in Canada.

8. bearnmom profile image65
    bearnmomposted 5 years ago

I find I have a finely tuned craving system.  If I eat something salty, I crave sweets.  If I eat chocolates, I crave something salty.  In my cooking, I use a pinch of sea salt for an entire recipe.  I cook with other herbs, spices and vegetables that have a salt content.  Celery is excellent for this because it is a tubular salt.  I'm going to explain that in a hub this coming weekend.

Oh please do. I know celery will make you sleep but I never heard of tubular salt. Interesting.

9. Faceless39 profile image92
    Faceless39posted 5 years ago

You're craving salt for a reason:  your body wants to become more alkaline.  Acidity is the cause of all cancers, and eating acidic foods is the main contributing factor.  Eat salt, but don't eat the over-processed, man-made chemical "sea" salts available from multinational corporations.  Try this out:  www.realsalt.com

Thanks a lot for your answer. I will check this out.

10. janshares profile image98
    jansharesposted 5 years ago

Weaning is so hard and cold-turkey makes the cravings worse. Here are some of my favorites to help you at least cut back:

Morton's Season-All 25% less sodium
    Adobe Light All Purpose Seasoning 50% less sodium
    Vegit low-sodium All purpose seasoning
    Spike salt-free All purpose seasoning
    I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray

All of these can be used on any and everything. Happy weaning and good luck :-)

Thanks a lot janshares!

working