jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can you make asparagus taste better? any tricks?

1. Sally6767 profile image55
    Sally6767posted 7 years ago

Can you make asparagus taste better? any tricks?

2. Lgali profile image55
    Lgaliposted 7 years ago

here is recipe you can try
    1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
    1 pound asparagus, woody ends discarded
    1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Fill a large, shallow pan with 1 or 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Have ready a clean, dry dish towel.
    Add the 1/4 teaspoon of salt and the asparagus, making sure there is enough water to cover the vegetables. Cook just until tender: 4 to 5 minutes for thin spears, 6 to 10 minutes for thicker spears. Use tongs to transfer the asparagus to the towel; pat dry.
    Use just enough of the oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
    If desired, cut the asparagus on the diagonal into 2-inch pieces before sauteing.
    When the oil is hot, add the cooked asparagus spears and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, turning them as needed, until they start to brown a little. Season with salt and pepper to taste; serve hot.

3. bjspivey-rivers profile image71
    bjspivey-riversposted 7 years ago

Lemon juice or lemon pepper makes most vegetables taste good.  If you get the young asparagus and the freshest you can find, it tends to be less bitter.  The young shoots are softer and less woody.

4. MickS profile image72
    MickSposted 7 years ago

straight, steamed asparagus tastes excellent and like other vegetables, once you mix it with other stuff you're disguising the flavour.  OK, try this
    four spears and four slices of ham per person.
    wrap the individual spears in the ham and hold together with a wooden cocktail stick.
    steam about 5 mins and then transfer into a casserole dish.
    cover with a cheese sauce, put on the lid and cook in a pre-heated oven at 180c for about 15 min, uncover for the last 5 min and sprinkle with grated cheese.
    I don't measure sauces, I just add the ingredients and make it up as I go along, but I've been cooking since 1953.
    try, 1/2 pint milk, 3 - 4 oz cheddar cheese, knob of unsalted butter, two teaspoons of cornflour or arrowroot.  mix the flour to a paste with a little milk, then gradually add the remainder with the knob of butter, heat gently until it just starts to bubble all over, turn off the heat and stir in the cheese.

5. Tony Flanigan profile image60
    Tony Flaniganposted 7 years ago

Steamed. And a butter sauce with a little dill, a touch of garlic, and some lemon zest. I have it all down on one of my hubs.

6. Second Act profile image77
    Second Actposted 7 years ago

Snap asparagus spears off where they naturally break, then discard any woody stems.  Then, place them on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt (garlic salt is good too), and pepper.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the spears are tender when pierced by a fork.  Squeeze the juice of about half a lemon over the spears.  Even my kids eat asparagus when I prepare it like this.

7. chinsey profile image57
    chinseyposted 7 years ago

try putting mayo on it...I never liked it before but my husband showed me using mayo and I really like it now.

8. rtburroughs2 profile image80
    rtburroughs2posted 6 years ago

drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper, then serve with homemade hollandaise