jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How do you roast Chestnuts?

1. Sweetsusieg profile image84
    Sweetsusiegposted 7 years ago

How do you roast Chestnuts?

Today while perusing a cemetery I found a chestnut tree and gathered a bunch of chestnuts, poor squirrels stole their winter stores.  Would love to roast them and try eating them since it's something I've never had before.

2. pippap profile image87
    pippapposted 7 years ago

Roasted chestnuts are a wonder yummy treat on a cold winter's night.  I take mine and place them in a covered pot on the stove.  I use no oil; but, you may add a drizzle if you like.  I cook mine over a medium heat to avoid burning.  At the beginning, shake the pan with medium enthusiasm.  When the first chestnut pops in the pan, increase the shaking of the pan keeping the lid on the pan.  After several chestnuts have popped, remove them from the pan and continue cooking the others.  Keep removing them a few popped ones at a time.

A popped chestnut can be determined easily as there will be a split in the chestnut casing.  When chestnuts are cooked (heated), the moisture in the chestnuts turns to steam.  When the steam reaches the crisis point, the chestnut pops (not unlike the sound of popcorn) and indicates that the inside is cooked and good to eat.

I eat my chestnuts totally plain.  I just peel the casing off and enjoy.

3. HannahRiley profile image58
    HannahRileyposted 7 years ago

on an open fire, right? hahaha...I couldn't resist:)

4. Foodstuff profile image94
    Foodstuffposted 7 years ago

Ideally you should use a chestnut pan which is a shallow pan with perforations at the bottom. Always cut a slit in the shell on the flat side of each chestnut.

I've just put up a hub about Chestnuts if you are interested. smile

working