jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How much coffee is too much coffee?

1. thisisoli profile image74
    thisisoliposted 7 years ago

How much coffee is too much coffee?

2. profile image0
    Butch Newsposted 7 years ago

There is no simple answer to that.  It depends upon the size of serving and the strength of the brew and size of the person.

I think if you are getting above 10 cups a day you are getting a little extreme.  I probably drink to much but it's the honey and milk I worry about, not the caffeine... the calories.

3. lilibees profile image61
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

10 cups a day wow that is nothing lol. I drink a lot of coffee and yes probably too much. I am almost to the point where the caffeine in coffee does not have one oz of an effect on me!

4. sabrebIade profile image49
    sabrebIadeposted 7 years ago

You have both made me feel good about my paltry 3 cups a day!
    Thank you!

"It is generally agreed that consuming up to 300 mg of caffeine per day is safe. That would be about the amount of caffeine you would get from three cups of coffee."
    http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournu … ffeine.htm

You guys are rockin'it!

5. gracenotes profile image91
    gracenotesposted 7 years ago

1 cup is all I can handle, and I don't drink it each day anyway.  I believe the acidity is too high for my system.

If you're drinking too much coffee, you'll especially know when you try to wean yourself away.  You'll get withdrawal symptoms like jittery nerves, headaches, and other unpleasant things.  The same thing could happen with withdrawal from too much Coca-Cola.

Oh, by the way, I read a book written by a medical professional.  Too much coffee works against weight loss.  Every time you drink a cup of coffee, you cause insulin to be released, just the same as if you ate a donut.  That doesn't happen with tea.

6. Susana S profile image98
    Susana Sposted 7 years ago

I have caused myself some health problems by drinking too much coffee. My stomach just can't handle coffee anymore because I've over done it and I recently had to take medication for 8 weeks to help my stomach recover!

Based on my experience I would say 1-2 cups per day is a good guide. Any more than that and you risk problems.

7. Kris Heeter profile image80
    Kris Heeterposted 6 years ago

The answer to this will depend alot on the person's genetic background and other environmental aspects. @gracenotes had some very good point to having too much coffee.  In addition to what she mentioned, high blood pressure can be caused by too much as well for some (again much of that has to do with their genetic background - and it has to do with the caffeine in the coffee).

working