jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are some of the different things you can do with Jerusalem artichokes?

1. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

What are some of the different things you can do with Jerusalem artichokes?

I'd never even heard about these until they turned up in a food co-op basket and found a couple of things they're good for, but open to more ideas if anyone is really familiar with them smile.

2. ChristopherMorgan profile image58
    ChristopherMorganposted 7 years ago

I'm not very sure, but with regular artichokes you could make artichoke dip?

3. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 7 years ago

Thanks, but I'm thinking dip won't be an option with these -- as Wikipedia says about them, "The Jerusalem artichoke has no connection to Jerusalem, and is not really an artichoke."

So far I've sliced them up in tossed salads and put them in pea salad instead of water chestnuts, but that's been about it. Everything I read says they get mushy really fast if they're cooked, so I'm not sure if it would be safe to use them in roasts, soups and stews, or stir fry without it turning into nasty consistency-less goop tongue. Apparently they do grow wild through most of North America, so I thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone has had a chance to experiment with them.

4. Les Trois Chenes profile image93
    Les Trois Chenesposted 7 years ago

I love the idea of using them raw in salads (thanks wychic), but they are absolutely marvellous baked/roasted in the oven, and they make super soups - the kind you blend afterwards. They're not at all gloopy. A friend of mine cooks them as potato dauphinoise, with a layer of sliced artichoke between the potatoes. I'm a big fan and have a large patch of Jerusalem artichokes in the garden because they are no trouble to grow and you get nice sunflower-like flowers that are good for cutting. I've written a bit about them on HP but, of course, they don't call them 'fartichokes' for nothing.