jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What is the best way to cook an Artichoke?

1. mommymaya profile image60
    mommymayaposted 5 years ago

What is the best way to cook an Artichoke?

I love artichokes. I've tried a couple of different ways but I usually just go for the basic, boil and eat. I'm curious if anyone has perfected a method of cooking them so you can get the most out of eating it.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7316592_f260.jpg

2. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 5 years ago

K9keystrokes here on HubPages has an excellent hub on How to Cook a Whole Artichoke.

3. The Frog Prince profile image78
    The Frog Princeposted 5 years ago

Slowly steam the heart and dip in melted garlic butter. 

The Frog

4. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 5 years ago

Just boil is ok by me. But I have ventured, to boiling a little, rare so to speak, quartering or sixing long ways. Cleaning without separating and then sauteing in butter, then quickly coating with grated cheese of favorite or what you have or just parmigiana. Gotta be quick so it all melts just right. You can cook them to taste, crispy is good and just barely is good two. My favorite thing about this style, is that the Artichoke is so good for you but the rest you put on it is devilish.

5. lupine profile image73
    lupineposted 5 years ago

Steam it in a large pot. Add a little wine to the water for flavor. Put the artichoke in a vegetable steamer holder to keep the flavor from being lost in the water.

6. profile image76
    Annabelle Tylerposted 5 years ago

I prefer steaming to boiling. It's quicker and doesn't overcook it. I would say it takes about 30-40 minutes, possibly quicker to steam. I've often overcooked artichokes by boiling. I also like to serve with olive oil and lemon juice for dipping.

7. profile image59
    beerbaccaposted 5 years ago

Boiling is the most common method, my preferred option, but try boiling your artichoke with some fresh minced garlic. Nice touch, unless you are a vampire...

8. Vellur profile image89
    Vellurposted 5 years ago

I read this hub - very useful. You can read it too if you want.

http://chefsref.hubpages.com/hub/How-to … oto-Recipe

working